PDA

View Full Version : Angel Ball Dress Shopping

Pages : 1 [2]

karahess
06-17-2008, 08:50 PM
You're right, Penny; we're going to Myrtle Beach.

PennyCampsey
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
have fun, we cancelled our trip there ... too many medical bills

LynneB
06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
WE are going to try to go the beach. hubby got a new job and really hates to ask for time off. the other nurse asked for the whole month of Aug. off for a cruise. It must be nice to be 65 and go a month without pay! And she has only been there perm since Feb. I feel bad taking too much tiem since I was out longer on Maternity leave and now with mine and Baer's doc appt's

LynneB
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I fianlly bought my dress today for the ball! i have asked about 10 people opinions and jeff would not give his. He knew that no matter what he said it would be wrong. I got a wedding gown. And it is official, they are a bunch of uppity -------@ David's and I will never set foot in there again! I am going to try to post a pic of my dress too! I am getting excited!

AmyMiles
07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Can't wiat to see your dress!

LynneB
07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
ordered from online David'd bridal # 9BR1003. Tell me what you think! TOo fancy?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
No, it's gorgeous Lynne!!! I bought a similar one (since it was cheaper than altering the other one) but it has no beading. You're going to look beautiful!

Ok, who here hasn't bought a dress yet?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Alright, I've dreaded typing this but I might as well get it out as I know a few of you are going to kill me, but.... the Event Planners have convinced me that to up ticket sales we need to allow black dresses as well as the whole white thing might scare people off. I agreed. So it's now a black and white attire ball. But we'll all still wear white and look gorgeous! Yeah, I know, some of you bought white dresses kicking and screaming so let me have it!

karahess
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm not kicking you since I'm wearing ivory! Tara and I are the ivory babes of Ohio!

You know . . . . since us CHERUBS members all have our white/ivory gowns, that will set us apart as the mommies of CDH children. I like it!!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I think you're right, Kara. I like it too! :)

MaryanneReid
07-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Lynne

Your dress is just gorgeous! You are all going to have such a great time!

Damon andSharonknott
07-06-2008, 03:48 AM
You are gonna look hot in that dress Lynne
Cant wait to see pics of all you gorgeous women..
xx

LynneB
07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
I would rather have worn black but I never wore a long white wedding gown so now is my chance! As we sassy southern gals say "i ain't mad at cha girl"!

TaraHall
07-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok Dawn! Thanks! No you know I am kidding. I LOVE my dress. I still want the red one though. Are Kara and I the only ones in Ivory?

Lynne, your dress is beautiful! I am just to damn old to wear a white wedding dress :). Dawn you can smack me at the ball. Love ya!

BTW we are home from Niagara Falls, had a great time. Don't know how people live in Canada, it is expensive!

Tara

AmyMiles
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
My dress is kinda ivory and it has some black satin on it. I am so excited.

Damon andSharonknott
07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Amy - have you posted a pic of your dress??

Corin Nava
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
My dress is being made by my MIL. It's simple-actually a skirt and corset looking top. I'm so excited to see everyone all made up :) Hmm.... I still have to buy my tickets or I might be all dressed up with no where to go!

LynneB
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Tara, don't feel bad, I never should have worn a white dress the first time

LynneB
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Tara, don't feel bad, I never should have worn a white dress the first time

AmyMiles
07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
No I haven't posted a pic. I will put that onmy to do list for tomorrow!

AmyMiles
07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
It's not the best picture, the lighting wasn't very good and it was raining outside.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn170/faithmilescdh/DSC01422.jpg

It has an angel pin on it. It was the first angel pin I was given, by my sister.

LynneB
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Amy, it is beautiful! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damon andSharonknott
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Amy, the dress is beatiful... you are going to be a knockout in it..

LynneB
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I did call today to see if I can get cap sleeves added just in case I don't like my bye-bye arms in my dress! I can't wait to get all gussyied up! We are going to have so much fun! It will be like Cinderella going to the ball! :makeup:

AmyMiles
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I was talking to Corin today and we just can't believe it's almost here! We are so excited!!!

MaryanneReid
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Beautiful dress Amy!

StephanieOlivarez
07-07-2008, 09:07 PM
All the dresses are BEAUTIFUL!!!
Let the count down begin!!!!!
It will be nice to have CHERUBS members wearing white, ivory and silver.
We'll stand out that way!!!
I AM SO SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

Corin Nava
07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I have started the countdown!!!!! Very excited to meet you all! I just want to give a big group hug!

TaraHall
07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Amy, I love it. I can't wait to see everyone. We are going to be hot! The seamstress is coming Sat to alter mine. She said she can do it in a day, keep your fingers crossed. My darn shoes cost almost as much as my dress!

TaraHall
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Question on tuxes, are the guys strictly going black tie? We ordered Jeff's today and got silver tie/vest to match the brooch. I can call and change it if it is all black but I had just thought about that.

LynneB
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
My Jeff may go black, but I kinda want him to go pewter, if he gets a tux. He was just going to wear his suit, then he was going to wear his kilt with his klan's tartan, too hot for that!

TaraHall
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Ooh a kilt, hmm. That would he hot and not temperature wise LOL. The pewter sounds good but I like color (they had a red that would have went with the red dress I wanted LOL-no Dawn I won't let it go. I need to just buy it and get it over with :))

karahess
07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Chuck will have an ivory vest with ivory necktie.

AmyMiles
07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Steve's tux has a cream shirt and a black vest.

I haven't even bought my shoes yet! YIKES! I need to get on that.

LynneB
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Tempted to wear flips flops! Kara would have a come apart! I have to buy something built for comfort and not speed as far as shoes. No Drop-Me-Off-At-The-Curb-Heels!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Kilt... there will be industrial fans outside, so make sure he's not being too traditional with that kilt! It is as a children's charity event so let's keep it PG rated please. LOL

LynneB
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
He changed his mind luckily and besides that he would not go without undies if he had to wear one or Baer's diaper's! He does have nice legs though!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Ok, I have another dress... I actually have several. Found a great deal on dresses at that discount place here and got 3 of them for my mom and sisters for $100. Of course, they don't like any of them. I'm Ebaying them. Anyone need a dress still? I have an ivory one and one that shows way too much cleavage (didn't realize that until after I bought it). The other I'm probably going to wear if I don't get the first altered. Here they are...

The 1st one I really love that's too long and the waist a little too big...

http://www.cherubsangelball.org/dawn1.jpg

Back up dress that I really like too but am afraid it's too thin and I'll flash people when the cameras flash. Plus I'd have to hold my breath all night....

http://www.cherubsangelball.org/trisha1.jpg

So either way, I have to alter one of them. Still need to find shoes too.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
LOL, Lynne

karahess
07-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Ugh, shoe shopping for the ball! Actually, it wasn't that bad for me. The biggest challenge was finding my size and I wanted a wider heal instead of the real pointy.

I pick my dress up today. I'm having nightmares about it being altered too small and not fitting. Therefore, I went out and bought a girdle! My first. Man does that thing suck me in a good whole inch.

http://i37.tinypic.com/4iitjb.jpg

LynneB
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Dawn, you like a princess! I love them both!

StephanieOlivarez
07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Dawn-They both are beautiful!!!!!
I am wearing flip flops--just for you Kara!!! lol

Corin Nava
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh Dawn-they are both beautiful! I really love the first one!!!

TaraHall
07-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Dawn, I think the first one is the one for you for this ball. I really like the second one but for some reason I keep going back to the first one and I look at it and think that is what youo envisioned for this whole thing. It is really beautiful and I think you look fantastic in it.

Kara I love the shoes. Mine are a tad pointy. Jeff has told me to start practicing walking in them LOL

AmyMiles
07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I like both of them. I still need to buy shoes. I should go today, after I check all 421 messages on here! We had family visit and I haven't been on since wednesday or thursday! Geesh!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks, ladies. Not sure if I'm going to be able to get the dress altered in time though. I've lost 8 lbs in the past 2 week - will probably lose another 5 before the events (stress is the best diet. lol) so it has to be taken in. I dropped it off at a tailor shop and they wanted to charge me twice as much as what I paid for the dress. Just to hem it straight across the bottom (no lace, nothing) was $75. Time to get out my old sewing machine I guess. I haven't even started looking for shoes yet. I think I'm just doing the ballet slipper thing so I don't trip and hurt someone. I am too clumsy for high heels.

AmyMiles
07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I think I am going to go for slippers or flip flops. i will have to stay away from Kara though :)

karahess
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm speechless . . . . . .

LynneB
07-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I am thinking of flip flops too but i am just 5'1' so that may not be such a good idea. But at my age i have to be comfortable.

TaraHall
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Dawn I found a seamstress on Craigslist. I am just praying that she does a good job and returns my dress. That would be my luck :)

LynneB
07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I have not bought shoes yet. i have to do that today and go get my dress hemmed! I am thinking about clear shoes, kind of a Cinderella feel. But then I run the risk of them looking hoochey!

TaraHall
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I am seriously thinking of finding new ones and returning the ones I have (if I can). I just don't think they will be all that comfortable and I paid too much for them to not be worn. They are very pretty but.... I did get my pedicure yesterday so my toes look all pretty LOL. Getting highlights Tuesday and need to fit in time to get my nails done. Have company come in tonight for Brandon's birthday (my baby is 12 today!!) and partying this weekend. Ok off to karate. He is mad I am making him go on his birthday but he is missing all next week, mean mom!

PennyCampsey
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Are yall ready ???

LynneB
07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I bought my shoes! I got a pair of those dyeable shoes that I am just going to leave white and for a REALLY good price so i am too happy!

AmyMiles
07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
ohh a pedi what a great idea! I don't think about pampering myself enough!

PennyCampsey
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
pedicures !!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LynneB
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I am going to get my hair fired, dyed and laid to the side tomorrow! Next week I am going to get the whole mani/pedi thing done. I used to do it all time before Baer. Who has time now? Amy you should spoil yourself girl you need it! Let me know about the hair thing girls.

LynneB
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I meant fried, dyed and laid to the side!

Barbara and KevinWagner
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
oh holy cows! SHOES!!! I knew I was forgetting something! YIKES! LOL my dress does nt come to the floor so it might look a little silly with flip flops!

LynneB
07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
In South Carolina we wear flip flops all year long with EVERYTHING! Barb if you want to wear flip flops then YOU WORK IT GIRL!

Barbara and KevinWagner
07-18-2008, 01:11 PM
LOL I guess that I could go shoeless.......then just hand me that jug of moonshine! ROFL at that picture!!

karahess
07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Moonshines mine, girls!! Hands off!! You know, I for real could get my hands on some and spike that punch. Just kidding . . . . or am I . . . . .

LynneB
07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Kara you are a hoot! If you drink the punch you take your chances! BTW.. are we having dinner at the ball or before?

TaraHall
07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Kara save some of that moonshine for the Ohio picnic, just kidding it does have to be alcohol free but we can always meet up later LOL.

Barb I told you to get shoes a month ago! Mine will probably be coming off so I need to find some pretty socks I can put on cause I hate touching strange floors (wonder where my son got all his aversions from?) Don't get me started on hotel rooms! Stocking up on bleach wipes...

Barbara and KevinWagner
07-18-2008, 04:43 PM
ok gonna go with flip flops then since Kara won't share the 'shine! LOL
hehehee son't worry girls.....when she hears us all flip flopping she WILL share!

Tara I try not to think about the hotel floors and such! ewwww!

karahess
07-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Too funny! I just got back from the store and bought my Clorox spray to hose stuff down! We're freaks!

PennyCampsey
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
light switches, door nobs, REMOTE control, bathroom .. dont dare use the phone and never, i mean never sit or sleep under the comforters ...
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Ya know... the rarely ever wash the comforters. There is far more dirt and nastiness on them then on the sheets.

We never did the germophobic, neat freak thing with Shane. He was a kid, we lived in our house. We even had a cat and dog. The house was clean but never spotless. We kept sick people away and we didn't go out too much in the winter but after being in the hospital for so long we didn't want him to be treated like the boy in the bubble. We had dust. I never used Chlorox around him (the fumes on this lungs, no way). And though he was in the hospital a lot and even though he didn't survive - all from recurrent CDH the last 4 years of his life. The first 2 he had pneumonia a few times because he had the trach and you can't filter germs through air with a trach. But no colds, no viruses, no flu, no normal sniffles or any of that "normal people" stuff. Jeremy and I were never really sick either - we got more colds while in the hospital than at home. There's something to be said for a few germs and building up immunity. :)

PennyCampsey
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
oh that is so true dawn
i just have issues with hotel rooms LOL

Dawn Torrence Ireland
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
lol, Penny. I'm still trying to figure out the sleeping schedule here. My mom will be here, have tons of errands to run during those days so not sure if I'm staying at the hotel or running back and forth home or to Craig's. But at least 1 night I will stay over and hang out with you guys!!! Friday probably (have to go home to get my mom Thursday night).

I am still shoeless! But the dress issue is fixed. Got my hair done and do not like it. It was lighter, frosted, lots of browns and golds and now it's... well, for lack of a better color.... charcoal. Not black, not brown just colorless and dull and with a few strands of color. I keep trying to wash the color out! Not happy with that salon at all. :( On the bright side, it will now match the silver in my dress. lol. :D

PennyCampsey
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
ohhhhhhhhh dawn !
i bet your hair color looks good..
never fails, if noone is going to see your hair and you dont care, it will look the best it ever has, but if you getting it done for something special ..well you know

Corin Nava
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Dawn-don't get me started on the germ thing. I know that it is different for CDH babies who are dealing with health issues to begin with, but I am a firm believer that healthy babies need a few germs to build up their immune systems. Let them eat dirt-lol. With Ayla, we keep clean-but we don't go crazy. I have been bringing her out in public since she was a week old, we have three cats, and yup-there is some dust behind my TV. She has survived her first 5 months with 1 cold! I know I am probably going to get killed here by the sanitize lovers :)

karahess
07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
It's the restaurants that freak me out. I hose down the highchairs and table. If it goes in the mouth it gets hosed down. We don't hose down the hotel that much in the summer. In the winter, we scour.

Corin Nava
07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Kara- Having worked in multiple fast food restaurants and waitressed....it's what goes on in the kitchen of restaurants that scares me!

LynneB
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I hate nasty high chairs too! I was a waitress once upon a time! We are not germaphobes. IF you have an immunocompromised child you kind of have to be, i do understand that. I hate it when people visit people in the hospital and bring them germs when they are already sick. We do not use antibacterial soap because it kills off all of your"good" bacteria unless you have a cut you don't need it. I don't even use alcohol or peroxide in my first aid clinic at work for minor injuries just anitbacterial soap for that because they kill healthy cells. We have a dog. Hotels can be gross though. I will confess that dirty little children with runny noses who want to touch you bother me and they always seek me out!

TaraHall
07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Dawn, you've been to my house so you know it isn't spotless LOL and the Oscar hair! The germ freak is more for me not Brandon. I never really contained him when he was a baby. Like you we kept people with colds away but heck I had him at the mall his first Christmas sitting on Santa's lap. I HATE to touch door knobs, escalator hand rails, any hand rails, elevator buttons, etc. but Brandon is always putting stuff in his mouth even at the age of 12, grr.. Anyway he has been rather healthy even when he has gotten colds, pneumonia, the flu, etc. Most of his hospitalizations have been from recurrent CDH (had one bout of rotovirus) but he is pretty healthy. I am the germaphobe, I don't care about them :) LOL j/k!

StephanieOlivarez
07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I just want to remind everyone don't forget your dresses.
We left this morning and got about a 1/2 hour away from the house and guess what???
I forgot my dress and Shane's tux!!!Thank goodness we weren't hours into the trip.

TaraHall
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh no Steph!! Thank goodness you weren't hours away. Jeff is out running errands and is supposed to pick up his tux. I won't get to see him in it until Sat. Well unless he wants to get it out and put it on LOL. Drive safe!

StephanieOlivarez
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
You drive safe too Tara.
Thank Goodness we did not leave the tux and my dress.
That may have pushed Shane over the edge.
A little cranky he is!!!!!! lol

LynneB
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Steph, are you guys bringing all the girls or just Shelby?

StephanieOlivarez
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
ALL the girls are in the car!!!!!!!
So far so good!

AmyMiles
07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
You would all have a heart attack in my classroom! We only use clorox wipes on the tables. Once in awhile on the desks. But 2nd graders are always wiping their nose on something!

TaraHall
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh that makes me crazy! I had a little nose picker in my VBS group and I was ready to flip! I used to do childcare for this one family and the kid constantly had green snot coming out of his nose. I am not exaggerating when I say he probably had 15 ear infections in a year. They never did tubes. I finally couldn't do it anymore and told them that they were putting the other kids health in jeopardy. Yuck!! See you got me started. And believe me my house is NOT immaculate :)