PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Cafepress CDH Shirt Idea - need opinions please

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had an idea this weekend and I want to run it past everyone. It's a little graphic, very dramatic and a bit gorey but it would raise CDH Awareness drastically...

Shirts with CDH diagrams on them. You know how at Halloween you see people wearing black shirts with cartoonish x-rays so it looks like they are skeletons? What if we did shirts that did a simple, cartoonish diagram of CDH on them and the words "Ask Me Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia" on them. Cartoonish so it wouldn't be too gorey. We would all be walking billboard diagrams of what CDH is. Kind of like this:

http://www.cdhsupport.org/graphics/CHOP-DiaphHerniaff.jpg

But the lungs would be where are lungs are under the shirt, stomach, etc - except showing CDH. Anatomy lesson on a shirt.

No, not shirts you could wear all the time but great tools to explain what CDH is!!!

What do you all think?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh and it would be just the waist up. ;)

Donna Easley
08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Dawn,
I think it would be a great idea!! I'd buy one.

MelissaKelly
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm having Slim Goodbody flashbacks.

http://www.orneryjabroni.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/slim_goodbodyx.jpg

^^ If you don't know who that is.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow, that's a blast from the past! LOL. Forgot about him until I saw that photo! But yes, that's exactly what I mean! Just the chest though. lol

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
And more cartoonish and less graphic.

Donna Easley
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Alright Mel, that's just disturbing.

LynneB
08-25-2008, 03:55 PM
i remember SLim! i would wear one! I love it, but i am weird.

KimberlySwitzer
08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Alirght, that just creeped me out :shock: LOL but I would definately wear one, makes describing CDH alot easier if you can show what you mean, most times I get a "uh huh...." and a nod from people then I draw them a picture and they get it!

I'm having Slim Goodbody flashbacks.

http://www.orneryjabroni.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/slim_goodbodyx.jpg

^^ If you don't know who that is.

DanielleKessner
08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Personally, I wouldn't wear it. I am very conservative though (a wanna be rebel who just doesn't have it in her nature). Good idea though for those that would.

I have never seen or heard of Slim Goodbody (must not have made it to oz) but that is freaky! lol

08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Like Danielle, I think it's a good idea for those brave enough to wear it. I think I would only wear one if I was participating in a specific fundraising event where people would expect to see something like that. I wouldn't wear the T-shirt in everyday life because I think it would be quite a confronting image for the general public and might provoke some abusive reactions - even though in an ideal world it shouldn't. I don't think I'd be able to hold back if someone said something abusive, and that would defeat the objective. Maybe I'm just too cynical - but after the abuse Corin experienced on her baking website I'm not sure. Confronting abuse face-to-face is different to confronting it online - there's no opportunity to cool off. Also if the person wearing it got emotional and lost control (like I would) then that wouldn't be a very good representation of CHERUBS.

Donna Easley
08-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Okay I've gotta ask, could we pick right sided or left sided?

PennyCampsey
08-26-2008, 06:07 AM
i have to agree with Danielle ..

KarlaHolt
08-26-2008, 06:18 AM
I like the idea...not sure if I would wear it as well. I think I'd have to see it first.

LynneB
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I guess that I do not think it is offensive or even odd after some of the vulgar and quite frankly tastless garbage that people pass off as clothing these days. I saw a man at the mall with a tee shirt on that said "I'm with Stupid" and he was with his cute as can be toddler. Now that I find tacky. Seeing a pair of two sizes too small athletic shorts on a robust gal with thighs that look like two pigs fighting underneath a blanket and the words "Juicy" written across the backside is gorey to me.This shirt would grab folks attention and that is the goal. Sometimes you have to put it out there, but to each his own.

karahess
08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
I agree with Danielle and Margaret. For those brave enough to wear it, all power to you. I however would not wear it and know for a fact that a lot of my own community would find it offensive. I think it would end up having more of a negative impact in so many ways than raising CDH awareness.

Slim Good Body. I remember him. He always did creep me out, even as a kid. We had to watch him in elementary school.

Elaine Moats
08-26-2008, 08:32 AM
I would not wear it. To much for this oldie. But more power to those that do like it.

MelissaKelly
08-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Hah, Lynne. Spandex should be a privilege, not a right, I say! Those "juicy" shorts are foul.

Anyway just to weigh in on the shirt itself...I don't know. I wouldn't wear one, but I would put a similar graphic on a card or something so when people stare at Michael when we go out I could give it to them without wasting time explaining medical jargon to people who don't understand it/aren't as interested as they claim. I keep Flying Spaghetti Monster pamphlets near my door to give to people who come to sell religion, too. "Here, take one, no I don't want to talk" =D

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Honestly, I'm not brave enough to wear a shirt like that myself except maybe if I was speaking about CDH. But the boys would wear it without any problem and I think the younger crowd, especially the cherubs, would think it's cool. Whether the school system would like it would be another thing. It would also be on posters, cards, etc. So I guess we could do it and those brave enough to wear it would raise a whole lot of awareness and the rest of us could maybe wear them on appropriate occasions. And we could do Left, Right and Bilateral shirts.... just please don't ask me to do any intricate Morgani, Bochdalek, small hernia vs. agenesis stuff. :)

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
And amen on the Spandex and that includes stretch pants. And men in Speedos. Some things are better left to the imagination, or not even thought about at all.

Donna Easley
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Dawn, funny that you mention speedos. We have a neighbor, don't know where he lives but everyday you see him riding his bike wearing nothing and I mean nothing but his speedos, shoes and a bandana tied around his head. Now that is YUK!!

StephanieOlivarez
08-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I would wear a shirt like this without a doubt.
Shane would also wear one.
I think the awareness of this shirt really would make a statement.

Shane wears a speedo!!!!!! lol

LynneB
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
i think the reason my family would be more apt to wear it is that we are medical and most of our friends are too, so we even discuss bodily functions over cocktails without batting an eye. i bet the docs and nurses that are Cherubs members would wear them.

sarah.deskins
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd wear it, but I wear a lot of controversial things....though never spandex and nothing with adjectives on the bumbum. I also have a hard time seeing a birth defect awareness item as controversial. But, to each their own.

FernandaArce
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't wear it, but I see your point dawn, maybe a cool graphic for teenagers as a target?

Donna Easley
08-27-2008, 09:31 AM
To funny Steph, but Shane is an attractive man, this man, not so much. lol

sarah.deskins
08-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Hahha!

Corin Nava
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

I don't care how good looking they are- I can't appreciate the speedo (no offense Shane :) ) Some things are better left for the imagination!

PennyCampsey
08-27-2008, 08:00 PM
SLim bothers me almost as CLOWNS

Donna Easley
08-28-2008, 05:53 AM
I hear ya on that one Penny!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh come on ladies.... a see-through body suit with a biology lesson on it wore by a skinny guy with an afro.... what's not to love about that? lol

Note to self - no bodysuits in our store. Expect only the kids and a few brave adults to wear the CDH Educational Shirts.

Donna Easley
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
That man would give me nightmares.

I'd wear the educational shirt, but no to the bodysuits.

LynneB
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
It was the'70's for crying out loud, give ole Slim break! I am sure all of us have some pics in some scary get ups that would get us arrested by the fashion police! No way to the body suits, the phrase 10 pounds of crap stuffed in a 5 pound bag comes to mind. I still say YES to the shirts Dawn. They are a fashion DO in '08.

Donna Easley
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Lynne,
You crack me up!! I love your phrase about the body suits.LOL

StephanieOlivarez
09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
You ladies are cracking me up!!!!!!!
This is too funny!!!!!
By the way--Shane does not wear a speedo!!!! lol
That would gross me out!!! HA HA

Dawn Torrence Ireland
09-02-2008, 02:17 AM
http://www.cafepress.com/cherubs/4814131

Not so graphic...

DanielleKessner
09-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Great job Dawn!

And Steph, you can't take it back now. We all know Shane loves his speedo ;-)

Donna Easley
09-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Great job Dawn! Those turned out good.

FernandaArce
09-02-2008, 07:26 AM
I loved them Dawn!

Did you mail me the CD with the graphics s I can start helping with design? ;)

KimberlySwitzer
09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh Dawn those look amazing, I cant wait to order things once i get my credit card paid off...only to rack it up again :?

LynneB
09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I love them Dawn!

MelissaKelly
09-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Very nice.

Also, I was looking at the Zazzle site the other day and there's still that typo on the personalized stamp (it reads cdshupport.org instead of cdhsupport.org)

StephanieOlivarez
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!!!
Can't wait to place our order!!!!
THANKS DAWN!!!

Danielle--your making me laugh today!! You know it girl!!! lol

Elaine Moats
09-02-2008, 03:52 PM
These look alot better

KarlaHolt
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Very cute-love the shirts!

PennyCampsey
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
NOW THESE I LIKE AND I WOULD DEFINITLEY WEAR ! BOY ONE OF COURSE! lol
THESE ARE VERY GOOD ...>! AND I WAS THE ONE SAYING I WOULDNT WEAR ONE, THESE ARE VERY INFORMATIVE AND ATTENTION GETTING !
WHEN WILL THEY BE READY FOR ORDER ??
SWEATSHIRTS TOO ... ALMOST COLD WEATHER TIME

PennyCampsey
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
JUST SAW THEY ARE READY FOR PURCHASE