PDA

View Full Version : Currious

AmberR
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
hello everyone, Im still looking for some research after 8 years of my son being born, How can I find out if his father was carrying the gene or was it me? And how can I find out. Im engaged with a wonderful guy and which isnt my sons father and we're thinking about having a baby but I have my tubes tied and In order for me to have them reversed I wanna get some information first.
Please email me if you have any advise Thank You so much!
dablond3@yahoo.com

Chris and TracyMeats
09-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome to Cherubs - you have came to a great place for support and we are here for you.

Without a family history of CDH or genetic abnormality, the chances of having another CDH baby is very low (1-3%). You can always seek out a genetic counselor to talk about your odds of having another CDH baby or genetic abnormality. The genetic counselor will go over your child's records and your family's histories to see if there is a genetic abnormality that caused the CDH and to let you know your odds on having another baby with CDH. Some insurance plans don't cover gentic counseling, so check into that first if that is a concern.

Nobody knows for sure what causes CDH, if it is genes or environmental or what causes it. You can't blame yourself or your ex. Until more research is done, we don't know the exact cause of CDH. Frustrating, I know. I have had two healthy children besides my CDH baby, one before Ian, and one after Ian.

Would love to hear more about yourself and your son. How is he doing? Great news about your engagement and I wish you the best in deciding to have another baby. Let us know how it goes.

StephanieOlivarez
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
In Boston they are doing CDH research.
I know from talking to Meaghan that they will do testing for families.
If you are interested, I will be more than happy to give you Meaghan's number.
Tracy is right on with seeking out a genetic counselor.

In reality...there is no known cause for CDH. The need for research is SO important.

We are happy you are here at CHERUBS.
COngrats about your engagement and wishing you all the best.

We would love to hear about your son.