PDA

View Full Version : Grayton's 1st Birthday

lcreekbaum
05-06-2009, 08:57 AM
For Grayton's Birthday Celebration, some friends are hosting a party and we are gathering goodies for CDH babies and their families while they're in the NICU. Here's the letter/invitation I sent out. (hope y'all all approve :) )

On May 9th, 2008 Grayton Karleigh Creekbaum was born to Travis and Leigh Creekbaum, as well as a host of family and friends. At birth, she was diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH). Although she was only with us for 44 days, the lives she touched in the short period of time will forever be changed. In celebration of her birthday, we'd love for you to join us as we celebrate her life by gathering (unwrapped) goodies to benefit CDH babies who are "stationed" at Children's Hospital of Birmingham fighting for their life.

While Grayton was at Children's, the smallest attention to detail of their baby and her surrounds (anything that made where she was seem the least bit "normal" and, thus, distracted away from the machines and tubes all around her) had a huge impact on Travis and Leigh. Things such as pretty blankets (rather than the hospital administered ones), bows in her hair, personalized trinkets hanging down from her isolet always put a smile on their faces. We'd like to gather these types of things to take to the NICU in memory of Grayton for other parents who are helplessly watching their babies fight for their life. Many of these parents don't live in Birmingham and are staying in an extended hotels or the Ronald McDonald house while their baby is in the care of doctors and nurses.
Suggestions from nurses at Children's and CDH moms:
Newborn mittens
Booties for newborns
Small crosses – ceramic, pewter, etc. to hang from the bed warmer
Flannel Blankets (such as the ones by Gerber in packs of 4)
Newborn hats
Boudreaux's Butt Paste or Desitin
small stuffed animals
knitted blankets, booties or hats
gas cards for the parents
washing detergent
any monetary gift card
gift cards to restaurants near the hospital such as Burger King, IHOP, Jim 'n Nick's

At the shower/party we are going to make chandeliers for the babies' isolets to hang down from their warmers so when the baby opens her eyes, she will have some "jewels" to watch. We'll provide all of the supplies to make them; you just come and enjoy yourself! Afterwards, Travis and Leigh are going to take the loot to NICU and each item will be tagged "In Memory of Grayton Creekbaum".

I'll post pictures later!

lcreekbaum
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Also, thanks to Addison Accord's mom, Marion, for the gorgeous CDH crosses she made - a dozen of them! - for the babies!

You are the bomb, Marion!!!!

LynneB
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I love it! I remember all the personal touches that really meant alot to us when Baer was in the NICU.

SCURTIS
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I love this idea!!! I wish you the best of luck and hope you gets lots of goodies!

Chris and TracyMeats
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Love this idea Leigh in memory of your sweet daughter Grayton! Grayton is so proud of you and Travis. I think the gifts you are giving the NICU are great ideas and will be greatly appreciated. Hope you have a good shower/party!! You will have to post some pics!!

Barbara and KevinWagner
05-06-2009, 01:56 PM
What a wonderful idea! Please post many pics for us Leigh!

Happy Heavenly Birthday Grayton!

KarlaHolt
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Sounds awesome! Thinking of you as you celebrate Grayton's birthday.

05-07-2009, 03:55 AM
That's such a wonderful way to remember Grayton on her birthday. She would be so proud of you Leigh, helping other families facing the CDH nightmare. Hope the shower/party is a great success.

Happy birthday for Saturday sweet princess Grayton.
:birthday2:

xx Margaret

SCURTIS
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry, I was not able to get onto CHERBUS for the past couple of days...

I was thinking of you, and I hope you received lots of wonderful things at Grayton's birthday celebration!

Happy Birthday Grayton!
xoxoxoxo

Damon andSharonknott
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Happy Heavenly Birthday Grayton xx

Leigh and Travis, I was thinking of you and your precious little Grayton
hugs
Shaz xx

Kath Murphy
05-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Happy Angel Birthday Grayton.

Leigh, was thinking of you but unable to log in until today. I hope the day went well for you all.

xx

mskelly
05-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Happy Birthday sweet Grayton. Leigh, I hope you were able to gather a lot of goodies...what a wonderful way to celebrate Grayton's birthday

StephanieOlivarez
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Happy be-lated Birthday to Grayton.
Have had you in my thoughts a lot lately Leigh.
What a beautiful way to celebrate Grayton's Birthday.
Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures.

NicolleColvin
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I just came across this posting Leigh, what a great idea! How did it go? I hope you got lots of goodies! How did the day go emotionally for you?

mariluornelas
05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I love the idea, being at the NICU is already a hard moment, so anything you can do different really makes a difference!!! show us pics

lcreekbaum
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
It went great!! I'll have to post the pics, as soon as i learn how. Can someone help me with this?

Damon andSharonknott
05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Leigh,
I use photobucket to upload pics. It's a free site and reall easy to use.

Shaz

LynneB
05-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Leigh~ they mention Grayton Beach in Florida in this month's issue of Southern Living. Is that where your Grayton is named for?

lcreekbaum
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, she is named for one of the most beautiful beaches in the US!! I'll have to pick up a copy of the magazine! Thanks for letting me know.

LynneB
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
It is about a family building a cottage there.