PDA

View Full Version : Diversity Event at Wal-mart

candieknotts
05-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I need a little bit of help, I was approved to have a diversity event at work, It is going to be about what management can do to help our associates that are going through or have gone through losing a child and raising a child that has special needs. The main idea is to help management throughout the company understand what people are going through in the hard times. So many people in company's do not know how to deal with situations like these, you really don't understand it until you have gone through it. My boss told me one day he didn't approach me about the things going on with Johnathen and he didn't realize how hard it really is until he saw Johnathen in the hospital hooked up to all the machines and he had the stomach patch from surgery. Many people don't understand and I want to help them to be able too. They will learn how to more effectively deal with these situations when they arise. I am going to focus primarily on Johnathen's story and CDH(raise some awareness of our cause). Plus I am trying to find people to speak from the point of view that has a surviving child and the different things that gone on, ex. feeding issues, oxygen and stuff of that nature, all the doctor's visit and how time consuming it can be and how anything major could happen anytime. I don't know if there are any people that are near the Oklahoma City area that may like to speak, It will take place at the Shawnee Walmart. I was also wanting to make a collage of survivors and our little angels if anyone would like to send me a pic to include you can e-mail it to me at candiemknotts@yahoo.com, it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to come up with more ideas and things I can do and say, maybe some pamplets about CDH I do believe there is one one this site I could use. I've been really wanting to do something to raise awareness of CDH and also help management in the workplace better understand what their associates go through, I can use all the help I can, so if you have any ideas let me know it would be greatly appreciated. It will be on Thurs. June 11th at 10 am at the walmart in Shawnee Ok.

Barbara and KevinWagner
05-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Candie this is amazing! What a great event.....and so very needed! You are so right....people do not understand. Waht a great way to raise awareness!

KarlaHolt
05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Great idea! I will send you a picture of Braden to use in the collage.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM
WONDERFUL!!!! Candie, I'm going to mail you a few things!

Chris and TracyMeats
05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
What a great event and I am happy that you are going to be a part of this event to help others and spread awareness on CDH. I will email you a picture tomorrow for your collage! If I lived closer, I would definitely have come to help you out.

Do we have a OK state rep???? Maybe they would know somebody close by to contact to see if they are willing to help out.

candieknotts
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Actually I don't believe we do . . . maybe that is something else I can do too, but I do know there were a few other CDH babies that were born a few months prior to Johanthen at OU Childrens hospital in Oklahoma City, I was hoping they may be a member here, hopefully so! I appreciate everyone's help, I can't wait to make this a success.

Chris and TracyMeats
05-17-2009, 08:47 PM
If we don't have a state rep. for OK and you are interested, email Stephanie at solivarez@cherubs-cdh.org. I am sending you a picture here in a couple of minutes.

mskelly
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I think this is fabulous! It's still awkward when I visit my workplace...I haven't gone back yet, I'm staying home with Landon for another year. I know they understand why I'm not back yet, but they don't understand the reality what we've been through. Conversations are difficult...they ask "How is Landon?" What do I say?? If I say "fine" they think he's 100% okay, if I don't say "fine" I have to get into a big discussion about everything...most of the time I say "We're hanging in there" or "He's continuing to improve". I feel bad for them b/c they're trying to make conversation and are so nice, but really what do you say?? I've been wondering lately if I'll even be able to go back.

I just sent you a picture Candie...let me know if you need any other materials!

SCURTIS
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Candie,

I just sent you a picture of Addisen for your collage. Good luck with everything.

Damon andSharonknott
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Candie,
WOW - this event sounds awesome.
Thanks so much for asking for pics.... I will email you one of Liam now.
hugs
Shaz xx

candieknotts
05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I would like to see whatever else eveyone thinks that their employer could have done to make things easier or anything they could have done differently (ex. grant you more time off, more understanding), I know what my employer could have done, although they were quite understanding, but I want to know what others may have experienced too. Thanks.

candieknotts
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Well it went well today, I had a hard time at first telling Johnathen's story out loud to a group of people, but other's cried too with me, and I felt so great afterwards telling it, now 30 more people know about CDH and Johnathen's journey! I was pretty shocked by the amout that attended I figured on half that, but I was excited. Plus I went back to the children's hospital in Oklahoma city today too where Johnathen entered this world and flew to heaven from, we had our quarterly children's miracle network meeting there, it was great. That was difficult too since it was my first time back there and of course the elevator stopped on the floor he was at, so I got a little choked up, but I was glad I went. Thank you everyone that submitted a photo for my collage and helping me, I greatly apprecited it! :D

KarlaHolt
06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm so glad it went well! Congratulations!

Chris and TracyMeats
06-12-2009, 03:04 PM
So happy the event went well. Johnathen was watching over you and is very proud of his mom! Hugs!