PDA

View Full Version : Woodring, Corey

admin
01-22-2007, 05:11 PM
[left:3888ef8470]http://www.cherubs-cdh.org/Album/new/woodring-corey.jpg[/left:3888ef8470]My name is Kathy Woodring and my husband's name is Daniel. We were expecting our first child in June of 1986. I felt good during my pregnancy except for the flu during my 7th month. The morning of June 30th I started going into labor and was at the hospital by 10:00 that morning. By 7:15 that evening I was in the delivery room. At 7:28 our baby boy was born.

Our baby was born at San Antonio Community Hospital in Upland, California. He weighed 6lbs. 11oz. and was full term. Immediately after our baby was born his nurse (Patricia Stickler) knew he was having a hard time breathing; and she started working on him. I looked up long enough to see our baby boy, and his color was not good at all, and he was trying so hard to breathe. Our baby was taken to the '"sick baby" room, and I was taken to recovery. My heart was breaking. Dr. Joshi (our baby's pediatrician) had been called and was there immediately. She did all of the necessary procedures to keep our baby stable. (I don't remember all of medical terms.) The x-rays had been taken, and Dr. Joshi knew that our baby needed to go to Loma Linda University Medical Center (20 minutes away). LLUMC's ground transport team arrived within 15 minutes. My husband and mother-in-law were with me while waiting to hear what was going on with our baby. Just when I really started to panic, the neonatologist from LLUMC came to my room, and told us that, our baby was stable, but very critical. He told us that our baby had a diaphragmatic hernia. He explained how the hole had allowed his intestines/stomach to enter his chest, which had caused his left lung to be compressed, and his heart to shift to the right. I was trying so hard to comprehend. At that point, we were told that our baby would not survive without surgery. His chances of surviving the surgery were 50/50. My husband wasted no time in signing all of the necessary papers. I was taken to my room, very tired, and very concerned. About 8:20 p.m. that evening my baby was wheeled into my room in his portable incubator (our baby was now almost an hour old). I reached into his bed to touch his warm little hand, and to tell him that we loved him, to keep fighting, and we would see him soon. I knew the sooner they left the better for our baby. The transport team really had compassion for our baby, and they told us they would do their best with our baby. I closed my eyes when they wheeled him out the door. I sobbed like never before. My husband and mother-in-law had been so supportive and strong. My mother-in-law (Janet) just happens to be the most kind, caring, and selfless person I know. No wonder her son is also a wonderful person. My father-in-law (Vernon, bless his heart) had arrived shortly thereafter, and within 10 minutes he and my husband were on their way to LLUMC. This was about 9:00 p.m.. They arrived at about 9:20 p.m., and Dr. Branson had met with my husband and father in law; just before taking our baby into surgery, and told them that, he would do his best to help our baby boy. (Corey was now 2 hrs. old.) We named our baby just after we were told he needed surgery. (We had planned on naming him after we held him.) Corey survived the 3 hr. surgery, and was taken to NICU. My mother-in-law had also arrived to be with Corey. She had stayed with me for a while. The medicine they gave me to help me sleep kicked in a little. I knew I had to at least try to rest even knowing Corey was fighting for his life. I woke up on the morning of July 1st., and Corey was now 13 hours old. My husband, and in-laws had gone home about 6 hours before (when they knew Corey was stable). My husband picked me up, and we were with Corey within 30 minutes. Corey was on a ventilator, and was given a drug to keep him paralyzed. Corey continued to do well, and sixteen days later he was taken off the ventilator. He still needed oxygen, and shortly after the Dr's. took out his chest tube, they had to put in another one. That one was taken out a few days later. At one point we were told by one of Corey's Dr's. that his left lung looked like dead tissue. Corey's x-rays were showing much more than dead tissue, and his nurse couldn't wait to tell my husband and I the good news. His lung was indeed expanding, and was a functioning lung. The Drs. explained that Corey's CDH occurred late gestation, and him being full term increased his chances for survival. (oh yeah, Dr. Branson used a patch to repair Corey's hernia). When Corey was 25 days old he went home. Two days before my birthday, Corey gave me the best birthday present ever!!! Being able to bring him home was the best feeling in the world. Corey is now 14-yrs-old, and loves to play baseball (pitcher, 3rd base, short stop), and will be playing freshman football this September. (Corey's dad had to talk me into this one). Corey is also doing very well academically. Corey has big beautiful green eyes (like his dad and grandpa). Although Corey's grandpa is no longer with us, I know he would be proud. Corey has a younger brother named, Kenney who is 12-yrs-old. Corey does get asthma, and uses an inhaler when needed. My husband, and I have been truly blessed.

Written by Corey’s mom, Kathy Woodring (California)