PDA

View Full Version : Thompson, Stephanie Ann

admin
01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
[left:f7deb382e6]http://www.cherubs-cdh.org/Album/new/thompson-stephanie2.jpg[/left:f7deb382e6]My daughter was born 06-12-1999 with a left side diaphragmatic hernia. There were no known factors that made anyone think that she wouldn't be healthy. I was in labor for a long time, and they could feel her head, but she was stuck in the birth canal. An emergency c-section was then decided. They tore my bladder among other things getting her out, but that was okay because the health of my baby was my first priority, my sweet little angel-Stephanie. My husband went with Stephanie to be checked out while the surgeons continued to work on me.

When I was in recovery, the doctors came in to tell me that Stephanie had tests and X-rays taken and that she had a diaphragmatic hernia. She was going to be packed up and transported to Egleston Children's Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. My husband once again went with Stephanie. I had to wait in Columbus, Georgia until my OBGYN would release me from the hospital.

I was released from the hospital the same day that Stephanie had her surgery to fix her hernia. Steve called me at the house to let me know that she came through the surgery great, and they didn't expect any complications. I just sat on the couch and cried that she came through the surgery with flying colors but also that I couldn't be with my baby on the hardest day of her little life. I packed up what I could, and the next morning I was off to Atlanta with a catheter bag for my bladder, stitches in my belly, and a spirit that I was going to see my baby no matter what the day held! When we got to the hospital, the NICU let all my family come back with me to all cherish the mother-daughter reunion. It was the best day of my life getting to see and hold my daughter for the first time after all the things we just went through.

She was released from Egleston after 20 days with an NG Tube and a few minor feeding problems, but all in all she is as healthy as you can get from such an ordeal. Now she is 2, and her development is normal; she is just 2 but going on 10. However, she is having an Atelectasis problem of the lower left lobe on her lung. She also has Reactive Airway Disease, but it is somewhat under control with medications. With modern science and the help of the Lord above, I know we as a family can overcome any obstacles that may come our way.

Written by Stephanie's mom, Teresa Thompson (Georgia)