PDA

View Full Version : Smith, Mathew

admin
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
[left:38f46c0cad]http://www.cherubs-cdh.org/Album/new/smith-mathew.jpg[/left:38f46c0cad]My son, Mathew, was born on August 28, 1998.That was the first day of this nightmare that has consumed my life. Before that day I had never heard of CDH, but that's all I think about now.

Mathew was breech, so I had to have a C-section. I remember my family being asked to leave and having to wait what seemed an eternity for an answer.

After being moved back to a recovery room, a doctor came in and told us a very basic description of what CDH is and said Mathew needed to be life flighted four hours away to get the help he needed. Three days later, I finally got to see and touch my son. And I knew I had to leave him in God's hands. The next day Mathew had his surgery. It went beautifully and we believed he would be home soon.

Mathew was on and off the vent the next few weeks, but on September 21, he came closer to home. Doctors did many tests on him, finding he had reflux and delayed gastric emptying. Mathew never had a bottle. On November 14, he had a g-tube placed. The same day, he yanked the vent out for the last time. I have never been so proud. God had given me a fighter.

While in the hospital, Mathew got a staph infection and RSV, both on weekends he was supposed to come home. But finally, on February 19, nine days shy of six months old, we came home. That was two months ago, and we haven't had to go back.

Although developmentally behind and oxygen dependent, Mathew continues to astonish his doctors, nurses, and therapists. I am so proud of my son. He is such a precious gift. I am reminded every day of just how lucky we are.

I want to know all there is to know about CDH. How can this affect so many people, and yet so few know of it? What causes it? Can it be prevented? Will my next child be affected? How will this affect Mathew's life? There are just so many questions and I don't know if anyone has the answers. You are the only group I know of dedicated to this. I see how you have touched so many lives, including ours. You are included in our thoughts and prayers.

Written by Mathew's mom, Michelle Wolfenbarger (Tennessee)