PDA

View Full Version : CHERUBS 2010 Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Conference

Dawn Torrence Ireland
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
CHERUBS 2010 Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Conference

There has been a change in place and time!

Due to the expense of holding a conference in San Francisco, the lack of volunteer support and the costs to families to stay in such an expensive city, we have decided to move this year's conference to Orlando, Florida. We had decided upon San Francisco over a year ago. We hoped the economy would've gotten better by this year but that hasn't been the case. Orlando is much more affordable at about half the cost to CHERUBS and to families attending.

http://www.cherubsconference.org/magickingdom.jpg

CHERUBS 2010 International Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Conference

Orlando, Florida
May 13 - 16, 2010

We have also changed the dates and moved the event up to May. Our conference will coincide with the American Pediatric Surgical Conference and we will work closely with that group to offer CDH families and CDH researchers new services at this year's event. We will have amazing guest speakers as always but we will also include research displays by all the hospitals currently recruiting CDH families for research studies.

We will offer discount Disney and Universal tickets as well. Our conference days are always half days so that families can fmilies have time to enjoy the location and all the attractions that it has to offer.

Details to be posted very soon! Stay tuned to the conference site at http://www.cherubsconference.org

mskelly
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Oooooh!!! Now that might actually be doable!! :)

Chris and TracyMeats
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I am so bummed to see these changes....it does sound like it could be great to coincide with the American Pediatric Surgical Conference. I so wish it was in the summer months, for I can't pull the kids out of school to even think about going.

JenniferTenney
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Yay Florida! I am going to try to go! Is it over a weekend?

BrandeeG
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
im much more excited about florida!!!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
FYI for those of you who are considering going but are financially trying to afford to go:

Many members are going without their families. They are looking for roommates to split the hotel costs. If you're interested in rooming, check out the posts here on CHERUBS forum. Please post any roomie questions in the private conference forums to be safe (this is the public one). http://www.cdhsupport.org/members/viewtopic.php?p=56521#56521

Families of CDH Survivors - there are often state, local and federal grants that cover conference attendance costs for disabled children. Talk to your cherub's social worker, insurance agent, hospital social worker for information about your state! Some grants will cover lodging, gas and food. Apply NOW and not wait! :)

Elizabeth Howard
02-03-2010, 06:17 AM
We went last year to the conference (San Antonio). We paid for the trip, but were reimbursed by the Oklahoma Developmental Disabilities Services Division.

They did require that we do pay for a portion of the trip (we paid for hotel), but we were reimbursed for mileage/gas, food, etc... We did have a very thorough application to fill out, and there was an application deadline. They pay for parents to attend conferences every two years, so this year we will not qualify.

The division provides this in hopes that parents will gain more information to benefit your disabled child. I am sure if Oklahoma has this service, many other states have similar programs through various state agencies. We would have never known about this service, if it were not for a friend who also has a disabled child! You definately have to do a lot of digging, to find various programs such as this but they are out there!

Dawn.... do you know of any Federal programs?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I know a mom who used one for a Deaf / Blind conference years ago - trying to find more info on that.

We had one for the same Deaf / Blind conference from the state - they paid for the hotel and conference fee. Shane's sight therapist took care of all the paperwork for us.

BrandeeG
02-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I am trying to look up and book everything do you have an idea on hotel info yet?

MelissaLuna-Manriquez
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Bummed it won't be in California, still thinking of going though!

LauraMcFatter
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
David and I are going to try and go to Florida. Sounds like I'll be able to learn even more about CDH.

Chris and TracyMeats
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
That would be great Laura to be able to see you again! Really trying to figure out if we can afford to go and make things work with school and everything.

KarlaHolt
03-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I hope you can make it Tracy!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
CHERUBS 2010 International CDH Conference Details!!!

See more details and register at http://www.cherubsconference.org

CHERUBS 2010 International Member Conference

May 13- 16, 2010
Orlando, Florida

Guest Speakers
CDH Research Teams
Round Table Discussions
Pizza Party
Kid's Entertainment
and more!

Summer Bay Resort Holiday Inn Express Orlando Florida
$65.00 per night special conference rate. To book at this rate, you must reserve your room by April 13, 2010! And you MUST book through our conference planner (details on the conference site).

Our conferences are designed for families of CDH survivors, grieving CDH families, adult survivors and CDH researchers!

Since our first conference in 2000, CHERUBS is proud to work with the world's best CDH hospitals and researchers to bring the families and the medical world together. Our 2009 conference bought together 8 CDH groups and families from 4 countries!

Members who have attended our conferences will tell you that they learned so much more about CDH, made new friends and gained a lot of support.

Because our conferences are confidential to maintain privacy and allow parents to talk freely about their journeys with CDH, we only allow members of CHERUBS to attend. This is also to keep our members safe and medical information private. All CDH parents are invited to join CHERUBS for free by registering at our site at http://www.cdhsupport.org

About Our CDH Conference:

Expect to learn a lot about Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia! Meet new friends, see old friends and participate in research for various hospitals.

For safety and privacy of our members, you MUST be a member of CHERUBS to attend. You may register for free at http://www.cdhsupport.org/members

Children are welcome and babysitting services will be provided during conference hours. Volunteer babysitters are needed and all parents who request babysitting are obligated to donate a minimum of 1 hour of volunteer time per child to help out.

The hotel offers free breakfast and shuttle to and from the amusement parks.

Families are responsible for all other meals and all transportation, accomodations and entertainment.

CHERUBS does not charge a conference fee.

Many families of survivors are eligible for grants to cover travel expenses to medical conferences. Ask your child's social worker for more information.

Make sure to register with us so that we can expect you! Registration deadline is May 1, 2010.

CHERUBS has a block of 20 rooms reserved at a discount rate at the Summer Bay Resort Holiday Inn Express. They are available on a first come, first serve basis. To book at $65.00 per night, you must reserve a room by April 13th.

If you are coming alone and would like to share a room with another member, visit our forums to find a roommate.

Conference Schedule:

Thursday, May 13, 2010

7:00 - 9:00 pm - Pizza Party and Introductions

Friday, May 14, 2010 - CDH Support

8:00 am - 8:45 am Round Table Discussions Session 1

* For CDH Survivors (choose one)
o Physical and Occupational Therapies
o Feeding Issues
* For Grieving CDH Families (choose one)
o Faith & Doubts In Grief
o Dealing With Anger

9:00 am - 9:45 am Round Table Discussions Session 2

o IEPs for School Age Children
o Early Intervention for Infants & Toddlers
o Grief and Siblings
o Dealing With Special Days

10:00 am - 10:45 am Round Table Discussions Session 3

o Dealing with Family & Friends
o Marriage & Having a Special Needs Child
o Dealing with Family & Friends
o Marriage & Grief

11:00 am - 11:45 am Round Table Discussions Session 4

o Pregnancy After CDH
o Helping Other CDH Families
o Pregnancy After CDH
o Creating Something Good From Sadness

Saturday, May 15, 2010 - CDH Research

8:00 am - 11:00 am - Guest Speakers On Current CDH Research Studies

8:00 am - 9:00 am - Meaghan Russell and Mauro Longani from Mass General

9:00 am - 10:00 am - Speaker Information coming soon!

10:00 am - 11:00 am - Speaker Information coming soon!

11:00 am - 12:00 pm View Research Booths, Sign up for CDH Research Studies

Sunday, May 16, 2010 - CDH Awareness

8:00 am - 8:30 am - "Current and future global efforts to raise CDH Awareness" by Dawn Williamson, President & Founder

8:30 am - 9:30 am - Group discussion on how we can raise more CDH Awareness as a community

9:30 am - 10:30 am - Group discussion on how families can raise CDH Awareness in honor and in memory of individual cherubs.

10:30 am - 11:00 am - Saying Good-byes

See more details and register at http://www.cherubsconference.org

KarlaHolt
03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Just registered! We can't wait!

FernandaArce
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I know I've been MIA for so long and this sounds really exciting!

Since Juanpa was diagnosed we have had so many issues going on, and I was sure we weren't comming this year, but I just saw the hotel rate and maybe, MAYBE I can work it out. I will talk with Ernesto this evening and I'll let you know if we can make it this year :)