PDA

View Full Version : 2011 CDH Conference in June in Orlando!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Save the last weekend in June for CHERUBS!

Yes, we are back in Orlando!!!! We found it's the most affordable for both families and the charity and it offers so many different attractions that families could come for 5 years and see different things every time! :)

We will also be holding 1 day events in California and the North East so that more members can meet families.

Stay tuned to http://www.cdhconference.org for more details!

karahess
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
We need a like button on our forums so I can hit "like" for this message!

Love Orlando!! Love CHERUBS!! Perfect combination :)

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree, Kara!!!! :)

KarlaHolt
11-10-2010, 05:31 PM
LOVE CHERUBS HATE ORLANDO.

I won't be there and probably won't for several years. Big dislike from me. So bummed.

Chris and TracyMeats
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I agree with Karla, so bummed on this one. I know the board has their reasons, but it is not the most affordable for all families. That is good it works for the charity on expenses. It does make it more expensive for people out West to get affordable flights all the way to FL. That is what kept us from going in May was the price of flights and to drive would be totally insane. I know it is hard to please everybody out there and you got to do what works for most, but I am bummed. I know the one day event in CA is in option, but I don't think hubby would go for the expense for one day.

LOVE CHERUBS!!! But, wish I could come to these events, it is a major bummer for me.

TracyLanders
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Karla, will you be going to the Northeast event? I'd love for as many of us to go as possible...I can't wait to meet everyone!

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes, most likey will try and go to the Northeast event.

I try to get to as many events as I can and will be planning the PA picnic soon.

The other issue for families is that many of us try to make a vacation out of it. I loved the idea of taking the kids to different parts of the country to connect with CHERUBS families but now that will not happen. And I feel at least once every 4 years or it should be driveable for some areas of the country so that people can attend at least once every 4 years if they can't afford to fly.

Honestly, I flew to the angel ball this year with all intentions of being able to drive to the conference as I thought it would be up north somewhere.

I can't do Orlando again and even if I could I would not want to go again so soon. Braden can't handle long car rides so I wouldn't want to drive.

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Oh, and I could afford to go by myself but I couldn't do that to the kids!

Both Brooke and Braden have made some fabulous friends and the conference is so important for the kids to connect as well as the parents!!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
We hear the complaints, we understand. But does anyone have any solutions?

We have a small conference committee with only a couple of us searching for options, hotels, trying to figure things out. Usually only 2 of us shipping stuff, organizing stuff, etc. These same people have dozens of other duties on their plates too. We need HELP with planning! Everyone has ideas but not everyone wants to take the time to help us with those ideas and we can only do so many things a day.

Maybe we have overlooked some great location with a wonderful, affordable hotel near a hospital and near tourist attractions. We have asked many times if anyone knows of a good location or hotel. The only responses are those from people who either #1 don't like the current location or #2 want it near their own homes. We haven't gotten 1 single response with any real possibilities. Not one.

We love seeing so many of you there. We love seeing old friends every year. We want you all to be there, it won't be the same without you. :( But we have over 3400 families and the charity to consider. We're doing the best we can but we know that no matter what or where... we can't make everyone happy. We just can't. All we can do is try to do our best. Maybe someday we can afford 3 or 4 full conferences around the county flying in doctors to each one. But right now, we can't. We can barely get the pizza parties sponsored.

We aren't rigid... we are open to suggestions... but we need real options and real help. If you can find a hotel with the following:

* Near a hospital with a PICU / NICU
* Not at a high altitude
* Clean, non-smoking, no pet rooms
* Free breakfast
* Affordable conference rooms
* Free parking
* In a tourist area with things to do near the hotel for families
* In a family friendly area (safe neighborhood, etc)
* Hotel rooms under $100 a night
* Near an airport

Regardless of where it is... I will be there. Even if I wasn't President, I'd be there (I pay my own way, not CHERUBS). I struggle every year to afford myself to go so I understand. My family hasn't been to a conference yet. I've been blessed enough to have been to Disney World before. My kids have been with their mom a dozen times... they couldn't care less about going to Orlando even if we could afford to take them. I get it. I understand. We try to make it affordable because we understand. We try to make it interesting and fun because we understand. I understand about wanting to travel to different places every year... who doesn't want to see different cities? I was excited about Boston and Niagara... but after months of research, reality set in.... we can't afford it. We can't exclude families who can't afford $150+ night rooms with no parking and no breakfast. We asked for help planning those by people who lived in those area. No response.

I am excited about Orlando again because there are sooooo many families and kids who have never been there. Who could never afford 2 vacations or even Orlando at all but who might be able to go because of grants through their states or because their communities worked to get them there so they could learn about CDH. People who have never met another CDH family or patient in person. Having Disney / Universal and all the other stuff nearby is a bonus. It's not the reason most of us are going.... CHERUBS and CDH is.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Tracy, I know you have another commitment around that same time so you won't be able to go no matter where we have it next year and we'll miss you. :( But we hope to see you in 2012 if not before then!!!

Karla, we hope you reconsider. It is important for the kids too. I know Brooke and Braden both like coming and I'm sure there will be lots more kids there next year if we have it in Orlando and since it's planned far enough in advance for families to make plans. Brooke makes good friends every year and I know she's such a help to the other siblings as well.

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I've wanted to be on the committee since Texas! I offered after last year to work on babysitting. I will still do that. I'm not saying I want it in Philadelphia. I would like to be able to drive (within 8-10 hours) once every 4-5 years but I know that's asking a lot. Orlando is reasonable for us to fly but not every year. Disney attractions are very expensive!!! I'd go anywhere / do anything for CHERUBS and am always willing to help.

My dad travels a lot and has been all over the country so I will ask if he knows of a gem of a city that maybe we haven't thought of....a girl can try, right? Obviously I've never planned a conference but I'm willing to make calls, etc. How do I get on the committee?

Chris and TracyMeats
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
We totally understand where you are coming from Dawn, we truly do! I want to offer solutions, but places I am surrounded by that I can and want to help plan and organize and do the leg work, we are dealing with altitude. What do you consider high altitude? I live at about 6,300 which is way higher than some surrounding areas (Denver, Salt Lake). Then the altitude varies in the states out West where I could do a lot of the work and planning to help out. But, what would be your altitude cut-off and I will try to offer some ideas for future ideas. I don't want it anywhere in Wyoming, for we have no big hospital. I would love to see something in the Portland, OR or Seattle, WA area, if we could find the help. They are farther West from me and probably all I could do is make phone calls and emails, but I would be there for sure! Have you tossed around the idea of OH or MI? I too want to have the option to be able to drive. We drove about 18 hours to get to Texas and I think that is my cut-off range, for we all were ready to go goofy by then! LOL!

Do you want me to add Karla and myself to the conference committee? I bet we could drive you crazy Dawn! LOL! You know I am going to be watching flights like crazy again in 2012! I was on the computer daily, up until the day of the conference this past May trying to find cheap flights, wanting a deal like what Barb had and it never happened. I can come without the family in the future, but we so loved Texas, that I hate to leave them home.

We do love you Dawn and everything you do for CHERUBS! I too want to help with solutions/ideas for the future if you will let me.

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Texas was awesome!!!

karahess
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Ohio? LOL! That's funny! There isn't jack squat in Ohio to do.

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
What about Baltimore, MD? Pittsburgh?

KarlaHolt
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay, I have recruited Dave to help. He WANTS to do this! He is a salesman and is very good and spends his days on the phone. He can work a deal with anyone!!!! Seriously, he would be a professional negotiator if he could!!!

Send him any information and he will call around for donations. He's awesome at this stuff!!!

NicoleWheeler
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Not sure about a close hospital or anything...but Branson Mo...is family friendly...cheap and somewhat a central location. I'm also thinking Nashville as a possible city & they have a good Children's hospital I believe with Vanderbelt.

Off topic but ...
For help with flight cost does anyone know about swagbucks??? You can get gift cards from southwest and it's not doing anything different on your computer, and no they don't send you spam.

TracyLanders
11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I had some ideas for next year or sometime in the future. Washington, DC is awesome and there are many suburbs around DC with affordable hotels.

And I didn't know you were looking for help with the Boston area. That may have been when I didn't have the internet or something. Because I know of many towns nearby where hotels aren't too expensive and many tourist attractions. Maybe another year.

Either way, I have to go! I missed it last year and this year. And I can't wait to meet everybody! I'll drive if I have to. HAHA.

NicoleWheeler
11-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Branson is 4 hours from St. Louis, and St. Louis has a highly rated children's hospital...St. Louis may be a better thought in the future.

karahess
11-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Ohio has some great hospitals such as Cincinnati Children's, Nationwide Children's in Columbus and Cleveland Clinic or Rainbow Babies in Cleveland. I've thought about the conference being in Ohio before, but besides zoos and amusement parks (Kings Island and Cedar Point) there aren't a lot of touristy attractions. I often find myself trying to leave Ohio to go somewhere else. LOL!

Crystal Benitez
11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know if this will handle the traveling problem but San Diego CA has an amazing Hospital - Rady Childrens Hospital, and there are very inexpensive hotels around. Also very near to the hospital there is the attractions of Sea World, San Diego Zoo and San Diego Wild Animal park and they offen offer Deals every year where you can buy a pakage deal that includes all three parks and hotel accomidations!! Also the weather is great and it is not high altitiude!! I would love to help!! If so needed!!

TracyLanders
11-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Cleveland also has the rock 'n roll Hall of Fame. I was supposed to go to college there but didn't because of finances. But that was one place I was REALLY excited to visit!

Oh yeah, and upstate NY has the Baseball of Fame for fans. That's a very cool place!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Tracy, yes please add you and Karla to the committee!!! :)

Ok.... we have to stick to these...

* Near a hospital with a PICU / NICU (as in within 10 minutes by ambulance)

* Not at a high altitude (that takes out Colorado, Wyoming, Tennessee and a lot of other states. I know some cherubs who live there can handle the altitudes but a lot can't and we don't want to take a gamble with any of the visiting cherubs' lungs!)

* Clean, non-smoking, no pet rooms (in other words - allergens free!)

* Free breakfast (we are all about saving families $$$$$ rather than going to fancy hotels or nicer hotels without food. TX was a mistake on breakfast).

* Affordable conference rooms (we need 2 rooms - 1 for the conference, 1 for the kids. Are they going to let us eat in there? Will they make us buy pizza from them instead of letting us bring it in?)

* Free parking (a must)

* In a tourist area with things to do near the hotel for families (key word... FAMILIES. That means LOTS to do, not 1 or 2 things. Families have afternoons free to sight see... no one wants to be bored half the day because there is nothing to do. And we need AFFORDABLE stuff too!)

* In a family friendly area (safe neighborhood, safe city, etc - that leaves out Baltimore and Pittsburgh. haha. Kidding! Well, half kidding, I'm from Maryland, I know Baltimore. The last thing we want is families afraid to leave the hotel!)

* Hotel rooms under $100 a night (non-negotiable. The economy is bad, people are on budgets. Getting CDH info and support should not be a huge financial burden if we can help it).

* Near an airport (preferably with a shuttle to the hotel).

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
And by a show of hands.... how many of you are on the West Coast and will attend? Because a few years ago we thought about doing it on the West Coast before and only 2 families showed interest and none could/would help that lived there. We could ask tons of East Coast families to go to the West Coast because of 2 families there. I know that's not fair to WC families but we have to work to help the most families as possible.

How many of you have been to conferences for other charities? I have been to some for Shane's other issues (sight and hearing), I know Kara has been to one to... anyone else? Because you'd see... we bend over backwards to try to make it fair, fun and affordable compared to most. We don't book a fancy hotel in an expensive city to put on airs about the charity, not taking into account the families at all like some. We aren't "all business" like others. We have the ONLY CDH conference in the world that offers what we do for research, awareness and support. Even the researchers who come always compliment us for our family friendly conference compared to the others they go to. We don't want to change that formula... it works.

Crystal Benitez
11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I will attend and will help!! I know that is not enough!! No matter where it is this year I am going to try to go!! I was actually really excited about Florida.

KarlaHolt
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I am willing to travel to the west coast (not every year). My brother is in San Jose, CA.

Don't foget that many families like to hang out at the hotel pool! I want to meet people and spend time with the families and kids because who knows if I will get to see them again. I don't think we need a ton of stuff to do, especially if you are only visiting for the conference.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Karla, you weren't here at the Durham conference.... it was HORRIBLE!!!! There was NOTHING for families to do! We had the conference, Angel Ball and Golf Tournament all the same weekend... big mistake. Too much going on, it was great for members but it was craziness. But in the afternoon after the conference.... nothing to do. Lots of bored kids, it was very hot, etc. We have Duke, some good museums and Raleigh and Chapel Hill nearby but still.... no family thinks "Let's go on vacation to Durham!". For most families this is their one and only family vacation for the year (if not several years)... we can't make them chose between going to CHERUBS conference or going somewhere fun.... we want them to have both. :)

San Diego could be an option. I've been to a conference there and out for several others reasons there. Broke my heart to hear they were tearing down Old Town. :(

KarlaHolt
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm not saying the only thing should be a pool. I'm just saying we don't need tons of things. 3-4 family attractions should be enough. In Texas, we didn't do much during the conference. We hit most of the tourist stuff after (we stayed for 10 days). I think it depends on many families are going to extend their trip. Not everyone can do that. We're talking about filling Friday and Saturday afternoon if people are leaving on Sunday, right?

karahess
11-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Ooooo - yeah, Chuck and I really wanted to go to this years Apraxia Conference (neurological speech disorder that Adam has). It was in Pittsburgh so that would only be 2 1/2 hours away for us. Turns out they wanted about $200 a night at a swanky hotel plus parking fee. There was a gosh awful seminar fee of around $100 a person. Yep, not per couple, but per person. They required you to have materials for the conference and that was an additional fee. Each person had to have it. Couples could not share. There was no child care and children were not permitted in the conference room at all for any reason. Roundtable discussions were done at a dinner that you had to pay for on your own. It wasn't cheap!

It was just ridiculous all the fees involved and regulations! There was no way we were going to that! You know what . . . . it really made me appreciate even more all the hard Dawn puts into our conferences and how she strives to keep the cost down for members. Let's be more appreciative!

TracyLanders
11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Dawn,

Another place people can check out after the conference this year, if you don't already know about it, is Old Town in Kissimmee. It's just a few blocks of shops, arcades, restaurants, and a section with rides and carnival games. It's an awesome place, no admission fee or parking fee. My family goes there every time we go to Disney. I'll definitely be hitting it up in June!

KarlaHolt
11-13-2010, 06:45 AM
I do appreciate everything! I certainly understand that the conference wouldn't be affordable at all if I had to pay conference fees and travel fees. I have been to a ton of education conferences for work that were pricey so I understand how conferences work.

Barbara and KevinWagner
11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Dawn is not kidding when she says that there is alot of work that goes into these conferences!! SHEW!! I am tired just thinking about it all again! ROFL And the COST that some places want to charge?!? holy moly!! We have seen some HUGE prices!!

Out of all the conferences we have Orlando has been the best. Prices, Accomadations as well as attractions. I know, I know.....I like to travel to different cities also!! 8-) ****BUT**** Plain and simple......without the HELP we just do not have the time to hunt, beg and plead every year for a new location.

Sooooo (wink, wink!) I got a challenge for you all! Hehee! Look at Dawn's earlier posts.....read the "requirements" carefully! Each one of you pick 2 cities that you would most like to visit. Post them here so that you are not working on the same ones! Then before Christmas (that gives a month!!) post here what you find. Include the:

*Family Friendly City
*Hospital (NICU/PICU) that is within 10 mins
*Family Attractions (at least 2 or 3)
* Prices for TWO Hotels that will offer us families rooms for under $100 that include breakfast. These hotels need to be in a nice area where families feel safe and are a reasonablle distance from the attractions.
*Prices for the TWO conference rooms. Include any package deals that they might be willing to make....ie so many rooms booked = x amt of discount off of conference room.
* Find out if we can bring food in!!
* Airport that is nearby as well as if they have a shuttle for hotel

So who is in on the challenge?! Who knows we might find that "gem"!! 8-)

And remember the deadline is Christmas!! 8-)

Crystal Benitez
11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I am really excited about Orlando, but I will get to work on San Diego. I'm sure I can find some deals and will try to work out all the details. It doesn't seem that there are as many west coasters as east coasters, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have the option!!

KarlaHolt
11-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm in.

okay...I'll research Philadelphia, Baltimore (sorry...I have to check it out Dawn) and Chicago (my dad says it is reasonable-he travels A LOT!).

KarlaHolt
11-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been filling out some online requests.....can you tell me about how many rooms we need / number of attendees?

What AV equipment do we usually need?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Until we pick somewhere different, we have posted Orlando. Families need to keep the dates open.

And there's a new problem - as soon as we posted yesterday morning about our conference, BOH posted their "CDH Summit" for the SAME WEEKEND just to compete (they haven't booked a hotel or anything - just grabbed the same dates).

So reposted this morning because families need to know when CHERUBS' is. That we've posted those dates for over a week before BOH did this.

I hate they are making families choose. The CDH community does not need drama. :(

Good news is - our conferences are night and day. As one person who has attended both told me "I can see why CHERUBS keeps growing and your events are so popular. It's a completely different atmosphere and more family friendly and comfortable". So we're really not competing. People who want a hospital visit to St. Louis and a "business conference" can go there - families who want CDH research, accurate information and support in a kid friendly environment will come see us. We're offering 2 completely different things.

But still, I hate this unnecessary nonsense....

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Ditto on everything Barb said!

No Philadelphia! Sorry - BOH had their "summit" there last year and that is just drama we want to avoid. Plus, we heard families were bored there anyway and the prices were way too high and they had to pay for parking too. And no St. Louis either.

We want families to look at the city and say "We want to go on vacation there!". We want the conference to be about CDH but fun too!

Don't forget, we'll be doing something in DC in April too so do we want to even look at areas near DC? If we're going to look at different places, let's look a very different places... like San Diego, Chicago, New England, etc.

I am open to other cities. But I really think Orlando would be the best for the majority. I'm getting a lot of "Yeah, so happy it's near Disney, we want to go again / we were sad so we missed Disney last year!" and only 3 "Boo Orlando, I want to go somewhere else" responses.

Maybe get some ideas, prices and we'll take a poll?

Karla, don't need any AV equipment (we have our own). About 20 rooms, 100 people.

KarlaHolt
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't mind Orlando I just don't want to go there every year.

Just tell me what cities you want me to research... I can't help if everything gets shot down. I'm trying but feeling useless.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Chicago is a great idea! We looked at Boston and Niagara too but couldn't find anything affordable. Maybe you'll have better luck? NYC would be great if we could ever find anything remotely affordable with parking. Gina mentioned near Yale - easy commute to Boston and NYC.

We already have 3 research facilities confirmed to speak! :)

If we do have it in Orlando, we are not living the West Coast and New England members stranded. We are having a 1 day event in May in Palm Springs and are looking at another 1 day event in New England (fall maybe?). And April in DC. More big events in different places than any other year! :)

So there are options to go and see other places and meet CDH families. But for the big conference, with researchers, round tables, etc we need 1 cheap place with lots of tourist attractions... why Orlando is so appealing.

Crystal Benitez
11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Looking forward to the event in Palm Springs!! What is the price range of the conference room? And is there a certain distance between facilities you would like to keep it at. From what it sounds like the conference is going to be in Orlando, which I am excited about, so should I still try to find out San Diego info?

joshoshensley
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Since it is far enough in advance, Mel and I are planning to attend. We have never met any other CDH families, so this is huge for us! I am very excited! I do understand both sides of the dilemma. Those of us who live out West, which unfortunately isn't many, can't always afford to travel to the East coast. I'm open to some middle ground, like St. Louis, Chicago, somewhere in the middle. I don't know who we have in these areas, but I am willing to do what I can from Utah. I would be willing to set something up in Salt Lake City, if there is interest. The elevation is 4300 feet, don't know is that too high? There aren't a ton of attractions here, but we do have the zoo, Temple Square, a Children's Learning Museum, the Olympic attractions, and more outdoor activities than you can shake a stick at. There is also a small amusement park nearby and some water parks not too far. I am sure that with enough time and some help I could arrange all kinds of deals here. Utah is an extremely charitable state. Anyway, I would be willing to help on the Conference Committee as well, if you think it would be helpful! Again I am looking very forward to June!

joshoshensley
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
So can we all agree the 2011 Conference is in Orlando? That just seems like the easiest for this year. I know the dates are set, but things ($) in my life require me to be able to book flights etc. as far in advance as possible!

Chris and TracyMeats
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I think we can definitely agree that the 2011 conference is in Orlando, June 23rd - June 26th.

I don't think any of us wanted you to change the 2011 conference, we were looking ahead into the future, for we do understand the time and planning that takes place.

karahess
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
The 2011 conference is in Orlando! We are looking at other possibilities for future conferences after 2012.

SanjuanitaFuentes
11-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Dawn Keep in mind if you ever want to have it in Houston, TX my mother in law works for Hoilday Inn and can get us a cheap rate on rooms and conference room. I am going to check with her I don't know if her dicounts only apply in state or will work for out of state but I think she can get the rooms for $69 at a Holiday Inn. Maybe I can help finding a hotel if you allow me?

SanjuanitaFuentes
11-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Dawn Keep in mind if you ever want to have it in Houston, TX my mother in law works for Hoilday Inn and can get us a cheap rate on rooms and conference room. I am going to check with her I don't know if her dicounts only apply in state or will work for out of state but I think she can get the rooms for $69 at a Holiday Inn. Maybe I can help finding a hotel if you allow me?

karahess
11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Typo on my part . . . . I meant to say we are looking at other location possibilites/suggestions for after the 2011 conference not 2012 conference.

Crystal Benitez
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Do we know if there are any concrete details on the conference this year. I would really like to start planning so that I can make sure to be there =)

RebeccaFalkinham
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I got here late, but I'd be willing to help out if people are interested in the Chicago and/or Milwaukee, WI area. There are lots of fun things to do in the Midwest!

JenniferTenney
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Crystal, I think the dates and location in Orlando has been finalized for 2011. Dawn just posted this on facebook:
"CHERUBS is proud to announce that CHOP will also join us at our 2011 Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Conference On June 23-26 in Orlando, FL! Our guest speakers now include Mass General, DHREAMS, St. Louis, Toronto Sick Children's, Baylor and CHOP!!!"
I don't see what hotel it is going to be at yet posted.
I am definitely going (I live in Florida and my sister lives in Orlando so it will be easy for me)! Looking forward to meeting you and Scarlett!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes, for 2011 we will be in Orlando again. June 23-26th. http://www.cdhconference.org

2012 hasn't been decided yet. We're open to options if they meet all the requirements and we have help in the area. 2012 planning will start in August.

We hope to see as many families in Orlando as possible!!! We will get discounted Disney tickets (more info posted soon), the hotel is great and even has a waterpark for the kids and tons of stuff for teens to do too. We were really happy with them last year and look forward to being in Orlando again.

We need volunteers for babysitting so talk to Karla Holt if you can help with that! :)

Also, parents of survivors... ask your child's therapists or social workers about grants to attend medical conferences. Often, they can find grants to help cover expenses. But you need to start doing that NOW! :)

KarlaHolt
01-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Trying to find a way to be there but not sure yet..

Dave and I might come without the kids...:( Brooke might not forgive us!

Would love to get an idea of how many parents need sitters so I can drum up some ideas. Seems like last year I was the only one who needed it.

JenniferTenney
01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Karla-
I don't think I need a sitter since I will be staying with my sister in Orlando and am going to try to get my mom to come with me, but I may be able to get my mom and/or sister to do the babysitting on the Saturday morning sessions (my sister will be working on Friday). Let me ask them and I will get back to you!

PamelaMcHan
01-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Like Tracy, everything surrounding me is high altitude. But I would love to help out with whatever I can. Orlando is just too far for us. We could never afford to bring everyone. Maybe some year just Cameron and Sawyer and I could make it, but we're talking way in the future. Las Vegas? (just throwing it out there)
Boise sits at just over 2,700 ft. It has a children's hospital, airport, zoo, water park, and an assortment of other activities. I know it is small compared to most cities, but its just a thought.

jjos2009
01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Seattle is a good place. I live about 3 hours from there and we delivered Axel in seattle and had him transferred to Childrens. They have a NICU/PICU. We also have the Aquarium and Woodland Park ZOO, both within 7 miles of the hospital we also have PIKE PLACE MARKET. Hotels are resonably priced around 70 dollars and close to SEATAC airport.

Crystal Benitez
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
How old do babysitters have to be?

Crystal Benitez
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Also I am trying to get approved for a grant I was wondering if anyone could tell me cherubs 501c number?

KarlaHolt
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't know if CHERUBS has any rules on the age of babysitters, Dawn?

But I would say 18 or older.

deAnnStrotherMcGilberry
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, just checked the dates on my calendar and that is one of the few weekends this yr that Chambers does not have a go kart race...so we are planning on coming agian this year !!!! so excited !

deAnnStrotherMcGilberry
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, just checked the dates on my calendar and that is one of the few weekends this yr that Chambers does not have a go kart race...so we are planning on coming agian this year !!!! so excited !