PDA

View Full Version : Buist, Becky

admin
01-23-2007, 04:33 AM
[left:b3accb1b47]http://www.cherubs-cdh.org/Album/new/buist-becky.jpg[/left:b3accb1b47]It was a bright and sunny day on Toms River North's football field, as we, the class of 2000, graduated! As I looked around, young adults, who have been my friends, classmates, and teammates for the past 4 years, and some of them even longer, surrounded me. I thought about all the memories and I wondered what destiny had-in store for us?

My name is Rebecca Marie Buist, but most everyone calls me Becky. I was born on April 23, 1982 to my loving parents, David and Mary Beth. However only a few moments after I took my first breath of life, the doctors told my parents that I was born with a left sided diaphragmatic hernia. Needless to say they were heart broken and anxious as their first born baby girl was whisked away to have the first of what would be 3 surgeries. The first surgery was fairly successful, but the next few weeks would be critical. I had my second surgery at two months and after that one I was fine until I was 5 years old. I was in kindergarten when I had my last surgery as a result of scar tissue from pervious surgeries that had "rubbed against each other" and caused a kink in my intestines. Once that was fixed, I was "good to go"!

I do have scars on my stomach, but- it really hasn’t phased me too much! I live by the beach, so to wear a bikini while body boarding in the waves, is not comfortable at all! (Besides, I don't exactly have washboard abs!) The only other visible scars I have are three pinhole cut downs, from the IVs on each wrist. One time in first grade, there was this mean little boy who teased me about the scars. Naturally, I didn’t like being made fun of, so I did the best thing I could think of. I told them that I was scuba diving in the Fla. Keys, where I was attacked by a monster great white shark! Then I proceeded to show him the scars that were on my stomach! He was so impressed with my adventurous near death experience, that I was the single most popular kid in my grade! To this day, when people ask me what happened to my wrists, I tell them that a shark attacked me when I was very young. They are always dumbfounded and amazed! What can I say, I’m a drama queen!

My Mom always used to say that she was glad I was a girl with a CDH rather than a boy, because boys tend to be into sports and a lot more active than girls are. She figured that I could just be content to play with dolls and sing in choirs, since there wasn’t any peer pressure to play ball and act wild. However, I wasn't the "play with dolls and do quiet things" kinda girl. I was the only girl to play with the boys on the playground, playing basketball and football and anything else they did! I played on the 6th grade basketball team and the junior high school teams too! When I entered high school I started to play field hockey and lacrosse. I was the varsity lacrosse goalie since my freshman year, beating out 3 others for the starter spot. I continued to play all four years, improving my game a little more each year. This past year was amazing- it finally all came together! My team's record was 20 wins 2 losses, and we made many headlines! Including winning our championship for the first time ever. I was MVP of the team, I was player of the week, I made 1st team All-Shore, and 2nd team All-County. I was goalkeeper for the Ocean vs/ Monmouth All-star game and was MVP of the team too!

This fall I will be attending Kean University (Union, NJ) to study marketing and/or education. I can't even tell you how excited I am to be going away to school. Kean is about 15 minutes away from New York City, I love the city and I hope some day to work there, if I decide to do marketing and business. In high school I was involved with DECA, which is a business club that involves marketing students with role-plays, written tests, and business presentations. The competition has 3 levels, regionals, states, and finally nationals, where you go and compete with students across the country. This year I had the opportunity to go to the nationals and compete in Kentucky. It was so much fun!

At this point in my life, I have so many great experiences already! Nothing has ever held me back from doing something that I really wanted to do. I consider myself a very strong willed person with a sunny personality and a bright outlook on life. I have a very supportive and loving family including my 2 brothers, David 15, and Ryan 8. I always live life to the fullest and I find something good in everyday. What does destiny have in store for me? Only God knows. All I have to do is aim for the moon, that way if I fall short ... at least I'll be amongst the stars!

This is me, with my doctor and surgeon, Dr. Mike Marchildon. The Marchildon Family are our close friends and every year on my birthday, my parents write and send pictures to Dr. Mike. This is me, Becky Buist, in the year 2000!

Written by Becky Buist (New Jersey)