PDA

View Full Version : Truffle Sale

Corin Nava
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I am selling boxes of homemade chocolate truffles to friends/family/co-workers, etc... Boxes of 6 for $3 in a variety of flavors. So far it has been a bigger success than originally planned as I have already sold over 170 boxes and continue to receive orders throughout the holiday season.

If anyone else wanted to try doing this as a local fundraiser PM me for some great easy truffle recipes!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Corin, that is so great! Can we order boxes from you?

Corin Nava
10-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Hmmm....I never thought about that. Might be a good holiday idea. Let me look into shipping I'm not sure how to go about that but I will find out and get back to you.

Corin Nava
12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
The truffle sale was a huge success, especially over the holidays. We sold over 700 boxes and hopefully spread a little bit of CDH awareness along the way.

A big Thank You to my MIL, my Aunt Ann, my husband, and everyone else who were all selling them faster than I could make them :)

karahess
12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Great Job, Corin!

StephanieOlivarez
12-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Corin- that is fantastic!!!!!
700 boxes, fantastic.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
12-29-2007, 09:14 PM
YEAHHHHH!!!!!!! Corin, you are awesome!!!! Thank you also to Nate, Jeanne, Ann and all your helpers. That's so great!!! Wow, 700 boxes.... I can't imagine how much work that was for you... you are such an angel! :)

LiseDill
12-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Way to go!!
My birthday's coming up in Feb....maybe i'll have Mark drop you a line!!!
:-)

LiseDill
12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
BTW,what are your flavors???

Corin Nava
12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Lise, I would love to send you some for your birthday-but Makayla might end up making that impossible depending on when she decides to arrive :)

My flavors were: Double Chocolate, Irish Cream, Pumpkin, Raspberry, Peanut Butter, Mocha, Hazelnut, & Andes Mint

I am still experimenting with flavors- I'm working on Banana, Coconut, Orange, & Key Lime for the future

LiseDill
12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
OMG, the double choc and rasp sound aweome! How about something vanilla-ie?
What is your biggest seller???

Corin Nava
12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
All of them had a rich chocolate base-so I didn't do anything vanilla-ie :) I am working on trying out some other bases for the other flavors-maybe I will add vanilla to my experiment list :)

Peanut Butter was by far the biggest seller

I am willing to share my recipes if you wanted to try them yourself-they aren't that difficult and they sure are yummy

LiseDill
12-30-2007, 03:02 PM
I have never attempted to make truffles. They sound so exotic and seems hard to make.
I hope it's easy. I actually hate to cook. If I can open a box I'm good to go. Everynite around 4pm I start wishing Betty Crocker was my mom.
I love peanut butter.....yum yum yum.
I'm game tho and will give it a shot

StephanieOlivarez
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Lise- when you make yours- please let me know how it goes.
I would love to make them for the girls.
You know what- Corin, would you send me the recipe.
Lise, I'll try and let you know and you try and let me know.
I think that would be fun for News Year day for me and the girls to try.
I am like you Lise- I do not cook. Give me a box and I am all over it.
This will be fun. Thanks Corin.

Corin Nava
12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Here is the recipe for the basic chocolate filling. You can change the
flavor by substituting some of the heavy cream (no more than 1/3) with
flavoring such as extracts, liquors, purees, etc... For the peanut
butter and mint I substituted 2/3 of the chocolate chips for peanut
butter or mint chips.

I tried to be as detailed as possible-so don't be intimidated by the length of this post-its really not that difficult!

Equipment Needed: sauce pan, whisk, large bowl, metal strainer
(optional), dipping fork, parchment paper, sheetpan, small microwave
safe bowl, spatula

Yields: Approx 35 truffles

Filling:

Heavy Cream 5 ounces
Butter 2 ounces (1/2 stick)
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 1 lb 4 oz (I think they usually come in 10
oz bags at the supermarket- so 2 bags)

Coating Chocolate for Dipping: Approx 1 lb bag
(I use the coating chocolate they sell at craft stores in the candy
section-its cheaper and works better than the stuff in the
supermarkets)

1. Heat the heavy cream, butter, and flavoring if used in a sauce pan
till it begins to boil

2. As soon as it starts to boil pour it over your chocolate in a large bowl

3. Mix the chocolate and cream with a whisk slowly until smooth (if it
still has a few lumps in it you can strain the mix while its still
hot)

4. Let filling cool overnight covered with plastic wrap-but not refrigerated

5. Scoop and roll filling into small balls, let sit for about an hour
(do not refrigerate, if you dip them cold the coating chocolate will
crack)

6. Heat coating chocolate until just melted

7. Dip the truffles in the coating chocolate and place on parchment
lined sheetpan
(the dipping takes a bit of practice- you can buy a dipping fork at
the craft store or I use a plastic fork with the middle two prongs
broken off)

8. Enjoy :)

-they last about 4 weeks and do not need to be refrigerated-you can
refrigerate them to extend the life of the truffles, but the
chocolate may turn a bit gray from the refrigerator moisture, they are
still fine to eat just not as visually appealing

Let me know how they come out or if you have any questions!

karahess
12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
I think a future venture for you should be coming up with a milk free truffle! I'm allergic to milk :_-(

LiseDill
12-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Corin,
I'm serious.....I cannot cook but I will give this a try.Printing it out...
I think I'm the only Italian on the face of the earth who cannot cook( well, Victoria is a close second)
No margerine right???

Corin Nava
12-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Kara-Uggghhh, that sucks. I don't think I could deal with that allergy. I will work a recipe for you, I love experimenting :)

Lise- Don't feel bad, I really can't cook either! I can bake and decorate, but I can't cook-kind of weird huh

No margarine, use the good stuff- butter :) Call me if you have any questions! I love spreading baking and candy happiness :D

LiseDill
12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Mark is at walmart buying me my supplies. Step, this betterbe easy! I'm making new Years Truffles!
Corin I just might send you one to see how I did! :-)

karahess
12-31-2007, 08:20 PM
I can usually find a dark chocolate that I can eat, but it is extremely difficult to find truffles, chocolate covered pretzels, bark, etc. It was terrible finding a wedding cake that had no milk, so we went with a traditional wedding cake and for our cutting cake we had a decorated brownie!!

karahess
12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
That seems to be the way it always is. If you can cook you can't bake worth squat or if you can bake you can't cook worth squat. Kind of like school - those who excel in English can't do math and those who excel in Math can't do English well.

Corin Nava
12-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Kara-thats ok, personally I would have chosen the brownie over the cake any day. Most people here that I do wedding cakes and pastries and tell me they want to come to my house for dinner- but baking and cooking are two different things completely! Baking is more of an exact science-I like the that. I can come up with recipes and if they fail-I can figure out why based on the science of it all. Ask me to cook a steak and I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Lise- I will be waiting for my truffle!

LiseDill
01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I did the milk and choc chips last nite. I put it on my stove top and thought ( well, stressed all nite) about leaving the milk on the stove. Is that right???
That's what i did so if if everyone gets sick....I'll be calling you back :-)
Mark only got my 2 bags of chips so can i roll the truffle balls in powdered sugar???

Corin Nava
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Lise- You left the cream on the stove overnight-or you left the filling (cream/choc/butter all mixed together) out overnight. I'm confused.

The filling does not need refrigeration. It has something to do with the fact that you scald the cream and the ratio of chocolate to liquid. I promise no one will get sick-I'll break out my baking science book and prove it if you need me to. :)

You can roll them in powdered sugar and they will be fine- but they will only last about a week that way. When you dip them in chocolate it seals the filling in and gives it a longer shelf life.

LiseDill
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
SEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't friggin cook even a 3 step thing!!!
I melted the butter , heavy cream and 2 bags of choc chips together and left that overnight on the stove.
I'm guessing from your email I messed that up??
:-D

Corin Nava
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Ok, you were supposed to heat the cream and butter to a boil and pour it over the chocolate chips-than mix it all together, the heat from the cream and butter melts the chocolate for you. But as long as it is one smooth mixture, it should be fine. What does it look like today. It should be smooth, thick, and scoopable. Lise- I still have faith in you :)

LiseDill
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
This is Victoria (Lise's daughter) never give my mom another one of your recipies.......just kidding they are really good and i can't wait to hear more of your recipies

LiseDill
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Hmmmmmmm, where DOES she get her humor??? :roll:

OK I did it right!
I did spray my hands w/ 'Pam' so they wouldn't stick to the chocolate.
Rolled them into little balls and then rolled them in the powdered sugar!
Victoria is my Choco-holic. That's why I tested on her. She knows her chocolate!!!
But I'm bringing them to my dad's. He's in a bad mood so chocolate will cure what ails him!

AmyMiles
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
How do you package them? My former work place is having a benefit for our daughter Faith and I think it would be another good way to raise money and awareness for CDH.

Corin Nava
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I found 1/2 lb candy boxes that fit 6 truffles in the box. I put them individually in small paper candy cups and packaged them in the boxes. You can find the boxes at any craft/paper supply store in the baking/candy aisle. I know AC Moore sells the paper cups and the boxes-The boxes come in packages of 4 for 1.99 I believe.

Corin Nava
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Amy- If you decide to do them and need any help feel free to contact me

Lise- I knew you could do it!!! I'm glad they turned out good!

LiseDill
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Victoria ate 5!!! Makin' fun of my cooking!I think not!!! :roll:
I want to know how Stephnie did with hers!
I love powdered sugar and I gotta say they were so soft and melt in your mouth
That's a keeper recipe.Really easy to make
Thanks Corin

StephanieOlivarez
01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I plan on doing the truffle's Saturday.
Took Shelby to the doc today and she has a very bad cough. She lost 4 ounces and is struggling with eating. :( Lots of retching at night. So we are trying to get her better. The other girls start school tomorrow and were getting ready for that.

I can't wait till Saturday to try the truffle recipe. The girls are so excited to. Went to the store today and got what was needed.
I will let you know how we do!!!!
Thanks again Corin for sharing your receipe and I know if Lise can do it- I should be able to pull it off to!!!!!!

LiseDill
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I made a HUGE mess. With 3 ingredients!!!!
I did however find out that when you wisk the butter and heavy creme into the choc. chips,, you have to keep the wisk down
It's kinda burns your skin when that hot fluid hits your hand :-)

StephanieOlivarez
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Every little hint you give me Lise- will help us on Saturday. Thanks.

AmyMiles
01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Corin

I think that I messed them up! They look a little oily and don't really taste like raspberry. I thought I was using too much flavoring. We are going to try some mint ones next. How long do you let the cream mixture boil?

Its Sunday around 12noon in MI if you could give me some help :)
616-551-3691

AmyMiles
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Corin-

We cheated a little and put some of the truffle stuff in the freezer and fridge. my friends were leaving and I wanted them to take some with them. It worked they just were not hte prettiest things in the world. Does the choc coating from the craft store stay melted longer or do you use a double boiler. I had to buy the stuff at a grocery store b/c our craft stores are closed on Sunday. When I went to coat them the first 5 turned out well and then it got a little clumpy. I just didn't want to burn the chocolate. They do taste delicious despite their look!

Corin Nava
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Amy- The coating chocolate I use stays melted pretty well. I usually get to dip 20 or so before I reheat it for a few seconds. I use the microwave to melt and reheat it-but be careful not to overheat it. I use 20 seconds at a time stirring between each 20 seconds. The chocolate should never get "hot". If you touch the coating chocolate you shouldn't feel it to be cool or warm-body temperaturish if that makes any sense.

They also don't look pretty right away until you get the hang of dipping them, which takes a few tries. I'm glad they tasted good, thats the important part! Did you get the raspberry ones to work out?

AmyMiles
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes the raspberry ones did work. We just left them as they were, I didn't want to mess them up beyond repair. So we dipped them and after they had cooled you could taste the raspberry a lot better. I am going to dip the mint ones tomorrow! I think I have done that batch according to your recipe!

What other fun things do you know how to bake?

How is Makayla treating you?

LiseDill
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Mine tasted great but looked horrible! Some pretty much molded right to my hand! :-)
The next time our church has a bake sale i'm gonna make these.Mine were gone in 2 days!!!

AmyMiles
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Corin
This time I put my choclate in a metal bowl and then placed that over a pot of boiling water and it worked really well. I just took it off the heat once in a while. That was using the grocery store chocolate.

They are starting to look prettier, those at the end never look as nice as the first set. Does some of the truffle melt and stay behind?

Also I finished up a batch and a half tonight so probably 70 truffles and my back was killing me. I am two weeks behind you in your pregnancy. How did you make 700 boxes being prego! I give you props on that!!

Thanks for the recipe they are great!

LiseDill
01-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I wanna know how stephanie did!

Corin Nava
01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Amy, I'm not sure if some of it melts into the choc... its a possibility. The more you work with them the better looking they get. It just takes time to learn what works best for you. I always used a small amount of dipping chocolate at a time, and kept refreshing it.

The 700 boxes was over 3 1/2 months. It started off slow which wasn't bad, but for christmas I did about 325 boxes which was crazy. It took me 4 days of working 12-16 hours to finish them all. By the end, I was sooo tired. I have been resting ever since :)

If you ever need any baking recipes, I probably have them, just ask-I love to share.

Corin Nava
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Stephanie-did you get a chance to try them yet?

LiseDill
01-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm even thinkingof making more. Steph, it was sooooooooooooo easy!!!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm on a diet... trying so hard to avoid this thread... it's hard seeing "Truffles" popping up on the posts list. lol. Craig gave me some chocolate for Christmas and I've made it 2 weeks now without opening it but everytime I see this thread I can hear the little chocolates in there calling my name. lol.

First thing I do when I reach my diet goal is trying to make some of these!

karahess
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
How's that dairy free concept coming?

Corin Nava
01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I still have to do some research and tests, thats a difficult one, but I am determined to come up with something :)