PDA

View Full Version : CDH Awareness Ribbon Magnets

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I found a company who will create the magnets for us very cheaply with just a minimum of 20, which can be ordered by more than one person (meaning when 4 or 5 people order a combined total of 20 or more he'll print them up). They are willing to donate a page on their site to CDH awareness and CHERUBS members.

Now... do you all want to do this? If so, what will the ribbon look like? Let's please do something different so our ribbon won't be confused with any of the other 500 different organization ribbons out there. And something that we can create regular ribbons to wear also. If we're going to do this, let's be *original*! :)

Dawn

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Very quick rough draft of an idea. On the top part we could use a Sharpie marker and put our cherub's names like "In memory of Shane Torrence" or whatever each person wants.

http://www.cdhsupport.org/graphics/ribbon3.gif

Just an idea! I'm not deciding this on my own, we need your input!

Corin Nava
10-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I like it, I would definitely be interested in purchasing some. Do you have a price for these yet? How is the ordering going to work?

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Standard, 8" x 4" $7.99 each
Mega, 16" x 8" $24.99 each

Bulk:
Custom Ribbon Magnets
Regular size, 8" x 4"
Qty. Price Per
1 - 4 $7.99
5 - 9 $7.39
10 - 19 $5.99
20 - 49 $5.36
50 - 124 $4.56
125 - 249 $3.98
250 - 499 $3.52
500+ $3.30

Bulk
Custom Ribbon Magnets
Mega size, 16" x 8"
Qty. Price Per
1 - 4 $24.99
5 - 9 $21.99
10 - 24 $18.99
25+ $16.99

This is all directly from the manufacturer, no discount (working on that!) and CHERUBS doesn't receive a cent but that's ok if it raises awareness!

KimberlySwitzer
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I would definately like to get one!!

LoriCampbell
10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi, I am new to Cherubs, but very recently did some research on the awareness ribbon color for CDH and it is blue (a medium/royal blue). (I just got a tattoo with this ribbon so I wanted to be sure.) I think some personaliztion would be a great idea but the background or base color should be this blue in my opinion. Just some input §: )

KimberlySwitzer
10-21-2007, 10:04 PM
where did you find that? I have been trying to find out but eventually gave up deciding there wasnt one!! I wanted to get it incorporated into my memorial tattoo for my son...but I guess it will just have to be my next one :)

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Lori,

That medium, turquoise blue is used by about 7 other causes / organizations as well and it's not an "official CDH awareness" color, it's just a color chosen by a smaller group. There is no official color, or trademarked ribbon color for CDH. Turquoise happens to also be the ribbon for Native American Awareness. I'm half Cherokee so I personally don't want to infringe on another group's awareness ribbon color.

We are looking for something different, more original, that won't be confused with any other diseases or causes. I'm not set on the baby blue with the clouds and the cherub, it's just an idea.

StephanieOlivarez
10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I am also interested.
I think the one in the picture is fantastic.
Please keep me updated!
Thanks
Stephanie(Shelby's Mom LCDH 7-10-06)

Amy Rademaker
10-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I found this on wikipedia:

"Awareness ribbons are short pieces of ribbon folded into a loop, or representations of such, which are used in the United States, Canada, Australia, UK and other parts of the world as a way for the wearer to make a subtle statement of support for a cause or issue.

The meaning behind the awareness ribbon depends on its color. Many groups have adopted ribbons as symbols of support or awareness, and as a result, many causes often share each color. Some causes may also be represented by more than one color. Red or teal may represent substance abuse, and purple or white may represent Alzheimer's disease.

Awareness ribbons are frequently pinned to clothing or tied around objects such as car antennas. When a more pronounced statement is being made, larger ribbons may be tied around objects such as trees and poles. Representations of awareness ribbons may also take the form of stickers, bumper stickers or magnets and are frequently affixed to vehicles. The concept of an awareness ribbon as a vehicle adornment was made largely popular after the success of the yellow 'Support Our Troops' ribbon magnet produced by Magnet America in King, NC.

Ribbons have also been used as a symbol of mourning. For example, many wore black ribbons after the Virginia Tech massacre."

My personal opinion would be for one side to be pink w/clouds and the other side to be baby blue w/clouds. I would leave off the cherub graphic, and instead of stating what the ribbon is, let the ribbon speak for itself, with simply the word CHERUBS and the website address. This would make it unique and specific to our cause of supporting parents, not only the awareness aspect. We are a support group, so lets raise the awareness not only of the birth defect that brought us together, but the fact that we are a group giving support to parents in need. This will set us apart from other awareness groups and their respective colors.

LoriCampbell
10-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't remember where I found it but I had searched for a long time to determine the color of my ribbons and causes. I decided with the information and pictures I found - and actually when I looked at my tattoo under the light it is more of a tourquoise blue. I have red for heart disease, green for kidne disease, gray for diabetes and the blue/turqoiuse for Isabella's CDH. I gave a picture of the colors I found to my artist and he matched them.
I agree with your intention of not wanting to infringe on another group's awareness color, but in my research there are only so many colors in the spectrum and each color I found represented more than one cause. I would just like to see some uniformity. Since this seems to be unofficial, but the common CDH color so far, I decided to go with it. Either way, I know that the color on my ribbon stands for my grand daughter in my eyes. If it is determined officially to be another, I will just add it to mine - I'm flexible and just want to join in the support and awareness of these causes that are effecting so many families and lives §: )

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm glad you're flexible, Lori, so are we. :)

We'd love to see some uniformity too and with our 2000 members that should be pretty uniform. Uniformity in our logo of the cherubs, our name CHERUBS, a cherub on the ribbon.... and cherubs because 50% of these babies don't survive. I'm all for uniformity! :)

There is no "official" color for any group's ribbon, just what the most people agree on and recognize. With so many of us, we can decide the color, but who wants a plain ole boring color? We are more creative than that! :) Our cherubs are special and so our ribbons should be too.

Your tattoos sound really neat, do you have photos? Not many grandmothers get tattoos and I don't think I've ever heard of any one having more than one ribbon tattoo. Please make sure to post in the Intro section too and tell us more about Isabella.

KimberlyRichards
10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Dawn, I'm in for the ribbons. I, too, like the one in the pic.

Kim

Michelle Long
10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I love the ribbon Dawn suggested. I would love to give the magnets as Christmas gifts.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Ok, let's set up a poll (if I can figure out how to do it). Suggestions so far are:

- Baby blue with clouds and cherub
- Baby blue and pink with clouds and CHERUBS written on it
- Turquoise

Am I forgetting anything? Any other suggestions?

Michelle Long
10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I like a combination of the suggestions. I think the color combo of pink and blue with clouds sounds great and I think the wording that Dawn put on the ribbon she designed would be wonderful. The reason I say that is because upon getting our diagnosis I felt like we were all alone in the world and if I would have seen the same words that we were told (CHD), it may have been comforting to know we were not alone. It was quite a few days before I actually learned of this support group and still I felt alone because no one I knew had heard of CDH. There was something on our local news recently about CDH and I found out at a greif recovery group when I was sharing Abbie's story and someone else had seen the report on tv and asked if I had seen it. Just hearing that someone else had seen or heard of this awful diagnosis helped me feel a little less isolated. I would not have known CHERUBS was where I needed to look for info so I think spelling out CDH is helpful to those that just hear the words that don't know yet. Having seen the exact words they heard they will know that they are not alone.

StephanieOlivarez
10-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I would just like to say, it is so nice to have someone to talk to while Shelby is here at Riley. Shane (my husband) has gone to get some sleep.
I like the baby blue and pink with clouds and Cherubs written on it. Maybe we could add our childs name on it!
Stephanie(Shelby's Mom LCDH 7-10-06)

Bethany Gillham
10-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I LIKE THE LIGHT BLUE WITH WHITE CLOUDS, PERSONALLY. AND IF YOU ORDER THEM I WOULD LIKE THREE. THANKS!

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Bethany, we'll all be purchasing directly from the company.

Still trying to figure out how work the poll stuff for the site.

Let's all suggest ideas and vote by OCTOBER 30th so those of us that want to give them out as holiday gifts can purchase and receive them by then.

Tammy Pettus-Kopacz
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Turquoise is to close of a color to Teal which is a symbol for ovarian, cervical, and uterine cancers as well as sexual assault, polycystic ovarian syndrome (which I have and wear the ribbon for), and tsunami victims.
I like the cloud idea, it's unique."

StephanieOlivarez
10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree...the clouds are unique! I think they can represent so much for Cherubs as a group and also I think each member can identify their own story with the clouds!
Stephanie(Shelby's Mom LCDH 7-10-060

Corin Nava
10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I like the pink and blue idea with the clouds. I think that helps let people know that its babies that are affected and I love the cloud idea.

TaniaSmythe
10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Baby blue and Pink with Clouds and Cherubs written on it sounds like a great idea, if i was to see someone wearing one i would be interested to find out the reason behind it and this may help with awareness.

Bobbi Steiner
10-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Dawn-
I like the one in the picture too. Is this just for the magnets or will there be actual "pin on" ribbons also?

MarieBrown
10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Dawn, I am also interested, and will go with whatever is chosen, do you know what the shipping might be for posting abroad?
Marie

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok, everyone post your ideas here and I'll come up with some rough drafts of them all by this weekend and then we'll take a vote! Still trying to work this voting poll thingy but I'll figure it out! :)

DarleneSilverman
10-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok, here is just a thought. The ribbons don't have to be a solid color. I was thinking of a black and white checked patterned ribbon to go with your new CDH black/white logo.

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Marie, I have no idea yet what the shipping will be. I'll post it when I find out. :)

Thanks, Darlene. :)

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-24-2007, 07:13 PM
The new CDH logo will be mostly for the dads who think our cherubs logo is a bit girly/childish. An additional logo, not to replace our other logo.

We were thinking of a patterned background for the ribbons. I'll add the checkered idea to the draft. :)

Keep the ideas coming everyone!

Barbara and KevinWagner
10-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok here is an idea.....how about taking something from all suggestions......one side baby blue w/clouds.......the other side pink w/clouds....but the words and graphics that are in the example. I like the CDH Awareness on the ribbon as well as the pic of the Cherub.....so many people will notice that little cherub!

Tammy Pettus-Kopacz
10-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Ok, here is just a thought. The ribbons don't have to be a solid color. I was thinking of a black and white checked patterned ribbon to go with your new CDH black/white logo.

Ummmm.....I'm totally confused. What Black & White CDH logo?

Tammy Pettus-Kopacz
10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
NEVERMIND!! LOL!!!
I found it. Under stickers!
Sorry bout that!

CristaHavar
10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I am all for the light blue or pink with clouds! Count me in, if they can be sent to Germany. Otherwise I am sure my family in the US would want some and would send me some.
Hugs,
Crista

Keith and LynetteMoloney
10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I like the ribbon baby blue w/clouds and cherub

Dawn Torrence Ireland
10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok, the poll is up at http://www.cdhsupport.org/members/viewtopic.php?p=1959#1959

Dawn Torrence Ireland
11-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Still waiting for the car magnets but the new CDH ribbon logo is now on our cafepress.com store on over 50 items. Hats, shirts, tote bags, buttons, signs, and much more.

http://www.cafepress.com/cherubs/4069314

We're still working on other sections of the store (the logo characters) so please check back often.