Stay Connected

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Gift Baskets For the Angel Ball Auction

I agree, Amy, very good point. The same with pets. I had to fabreeze several baskets and still couldn't get the smell out of a couple of them.

(Go ahead, let me have it for admitting this)..... I smoked for 15 years. I am the last person to judge anyone on smoking as I know how incredibly hard it is to quit, especially going through all we all have gone through - I do draw the line at smoking around the kids though. I quit years ago and it's amazing the difference in smells. When you smoke or have pets, you really don't notice the smell because you're used to it. But to someone who doesn't smoke or have pets, it's overwhelming. My family smokes and riding around my mom's car with her during the events last weekend... headaches all weekend. Nothing like no sleep, stressed over 3 events and headaches too! LOL. First thing I did when she left and I got my car back (I left it at home that weekend) was wash my hair and clothes - I reeked of smoke just from being in the car. Craig wouldn't come near me either (don't blame him!). I had to put smoker's baskets in the garage, fabreezed a dozen times trying to get the smell out and the whole garage smelled like smoke. Heat and smoking smell don't mix well together. I never realized how bad it smelled when I smoked. One of my sisters (the only non-smoker) would complain and complain and I thought she was just being a nagging PITB, but now I see what she meant!

So I agree with Amy and hope no one is offended - I do realize it's very unnoticeable to smokers themselves. Our first basket auction, we didn't know - we're learning as we go. Now we know what to do for next year!
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

Dawn, do we have a total yet on how much the baskets made for CHERUBS? Come on come on We wanna know! LOL

There were SOOOO MANY awesome baskets! I wanted to bid on alot of them......BUT no way was I getting involved with some of the brutual bidders we have here.....huh Steph?!! ROFL

So who won what?! We know what ALL Steph got (LOL).....and Dawn got Kate's......so what about the willow tree basket (that was so awesome!!)....and some of the others?? anyone else gonna share what they won?

Barb

The total auctions (both events, baskets and other items) was over $4000. I'm waiting on the auction guy to send the exact list, then I can tell you the totals for baskets, other items and items he got for us for auction.

Between auctions, ticket sales and players for the tourney, and sponsorships it looks like we broke about even with maybe some profit. The Angel Ball made most of the profit, with the golf tournament putting us in the hole majorly (that cost us almost $10,000 as that was not sponsored other than in-kind gifts and we had to pay for 100 players even though we didn't have half that). I was pretty upset about that but then I found that no charity golf tournaments around here have made money all year due to the economy. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and several other organizations canceled their events and went into the hole. So we can be proud that we didn't cancel! In fact, we were the ONLY charity to not cancel at that golf course for the entire month of July - the rest gave up and took the hit without trying. So we can be proud that we aren't quitters. And it's an investment. For our first year, we did AMAZING with both events - the amount of media attention and awareness has been great!!! There are still press releases being sent out about it 2 weeks after the event. And everyone at both events said they had fun and would be back next year and every single vendor for both events has already signed on to volunteer for next year. That's pretty darn cool. We are already working on securing the venues for next year and setting those dates. Sponsors are already being sent letters for next year. We expect to raise $5,000 to $10,000 per event next year. That's a lot of member packets and newsletters and conference costs that will be covered! Plus, we've got several grants working too and a lot of other things going up my sleeve that I won't post here yet.

But the baskets.... kept us from losing money on these events. They were such a hit at both events!!!!! Thank you all so very, very much!!!

I think we may have to schedule an early December huge Ebay auction of baskets as a holiday fundraiser. What do you all think? Then we can all bid on-line, all of us from around the world!!! And we can pay Shane to turn off Steph's internet so she can't outbid us! LOL

I'll have exact figures once the I get the auction paperwork and final golf bills - next week.
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada

Blog Entries
    Dawn-Thats wonderful that we broke even!!!! You're right-it's an investment and if nothing else, we spread awareness (and had a good time doing it )

Barb-I believe Laura's mom (I can't remember her name...I'm horrible at names!!!) won the Willow Tree basket.
    Corin New England State Rep [img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/GabrielMommy1118/1-3.jpg[/img] [url]www.gabriel-nava.virtual-memorials.com[/url] Gabriels website [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66S-vt5sI8[/url] Gabriels Video [url]http://corinscrazylife.blogspot.com/[/url] My Blog [url]http://newenglandcherubs.wordpress.com[/url] New England Blog

I think that a holiday basket auction would be great! I would be in for that! And I will talk to Shane at the Ohio picnic about the internet thing....great idea! ROFL

I am so glad that we hopefully broke even! Like you said even breaking even or making one dollar is spectacular for our first year! That was the goal and hopeully we made it! Next years event will be HUGE!! I can not wait!

Dawn I think that is awsome in the words of us southerners "you done good". I think you should be very proud. Everyone worked hard and we took so much more out of this than we gave on my part. I am looking forward to next year. Is it July '09 yet?
    cdh found at birth. 28 days NICU. Vent 7 days. Repair at 3 days. No ECMO. NG Tube 28 days http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...don/0004-1.jpg

This all sounds GREAT!!!!

EXCEPT----Shane knows better than to mess with me while I am playing with my computer!!!!! I love to play on EBAY!!!!!! I can't wait!!! lol

Ellen did win the willow tree basket.

I think with all the CDH Awareness we spread with these events--Dawn--it was AMAZING!!!!!
    If we continue to work together--ANY events for the future--will do nothing but ROCK!!!!
    TOGETHER WE CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING!!!!
    (one of my favorite sayings).
    Stephanie (Shelby's Mom LCDH 7-10-06)- ECMO 7 days- 2 DH repairs- hital hernia repair- Cliff Lip repair- Nissen and Mickey button. Shelby is eating and drinking by mouth now!!! THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!! Mom to Lexi 8- Morgan 6 and Taylor 5. Blessed to have our little butterfly and our beautiful girls. [url]www.youtube.com/cdhsupport[/url] - Shelby's Journey [img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/gracebutterfly/CDHAwarenessRibbonShelbysmall.jpg[/img]

It looks like we may have to cancel this year's Angel Ball.

Unless we can come up with the initial cost of $10,000 through sponsorships, then we're canceling on Friday. So far, after over 6000 e-mails, calling and begging more companies than I can count.... sponsorship is $0.

We were hoping to raise $25000 this year for a lot of different services (next year's conference, research database, $5000 to research, totebags, info packets and so, so much more).

Please say a prayer for a miracle!!!!! We need one!

BUT we're still collecting baskets - we'll just auction them on Ebay or figure something else out.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada

Oh no...I have most of the things for my basket.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

We'll still use the baskets, Karla!!!!! Either an Ebay auction near Christmas (get lots of members to join in) or we'll use them for something. I started on mine too so I really want to use them too!

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada