Stay Connected

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MI and OH families help make dinner at Ann Arbor, MI RMD

Amy I am so glad that this turned out so well! Please let me know when you have the next one scheduled! We will help in any way that we can. We did not stay at the RMcD with Log but I sure wish we had!! We knew about it but it somehow slip thru our minds!

Barb

This is WONDERFUL!!!!!
    Amy--your strength shows in all you do.
    Stephanie (Shelby's Mom LCDH 7-10-06)- ECMO 7 days- 2 DH repairs- hital hernia repair- Cliff Lip repair- Nissen and Mickey button. Shelby is eating and drinking by mouth now!!! THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!! Mom to Lexi 8- Morgan 6 and Taylor 5. Blessed to have our little butterfly and our beautiful girls. [url]www.youtube.com/cdhsupport[/url] - Shelby's Journey [img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/gracebutterfly/CDHAwarenessRibbonShelbysmall.jpg[/img]

Amy:

I don't know if you'll see this, it's been a couple weeks. But you know I wouldn't get mad if you posted those pics! LOL

Anyway, it was great seeing you and Steve at the RMH... Hope to make it an annual thing!

Thanks again for arranging such a nice event! You are truly an amazing couple, and it warms my heart to know you are continuing to spread CDH awareness after all you've been through. You affect more people than you know. You rock!
    http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...glishsmall.jpg -Katie English Mom of Henry: LCDH diagnosed at 18 weeks gestation- born March 25- 2008. ECMO for 2 weeks- CDH repair at 3 1/2 weeks- home at 8 weeks! Still on O2 at night. Also Mom to Emma (12)- Gail (10)- and Claire (7)- (Henry's big sisters and loyal guardians!) www.carepages.com (Look up HenryEnglish)

How is Henry doing Katie?
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Great, actually! Thanks for asking. He's taking all od feedings by mouth, during the day. He takes 100 cc's or close to it at most feedings (which is twice as much as he was taking when he was getting tube feeds arounds the clock) He gets fed through the NG only at night, continuously for 10 hours.

And, the latest is, he went for a sleep study last night (I'm still recovering from that, very sleepy!!! )
    They couldn't give me the results yet, but they did tell me that he was able to go the whole night without any O2. I'm really hoping he can come off the O2 soon! No more lugging tanks everywhere we go-that would be wonderful!

I'll let you know when I found out the official results.
    http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...glishsmall.jpg -Katie English Mom of Henry: LCDH diagnosed at 18 weeks gestation- born March 25- 2008. ECMO for 2 weeks- CDH repair at 3 1/2 weeks- home at 8 weeks! Still on O2 at night. Also Mom to Emma (12)- Gail (10)- and Claire (7)- (Henry's big sisters and loyal guardians!) www.carepages.com (Look up HenryEnglish)

Tracy:
    I just noticed that Ian had an undescended testicle. Henry has one also. If you don't mind me asking, how was that surgery? Was it hard for him to recover from that?
    Just wondering. Henry sees a urologist later this month about it. I'm not sure when he might be having surgery to fix it, though.

Thanks!

Sounds like Henry is doing very well with his feedings!! That is great news that Henry was able to go the whole night without any oxygen--prayers that he may be able to come off in the near future. That would take some relief off of your sholders, carrying around or lugging those O2 tanks. Please let us know when you get the official results. Give that cute baby a hug and tell him he is doing so good!!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.

Ian's undescended testicle surgery was done on day 48 of his life when he had his inguinal hernias repaired. The doctors felt Ian's left testicle was so high up in the abdomen and they thought it would never descend on its own. Usually, doctors like to wait 2 or 3 years and see if the testes descend on their own. All the doctor did was put the left testicle in the scrotum sack and stitch it to the scrotum sack. His testicle can be found still high in the scrotum sack, but the doctor has not wanted to do another surgery, for he feels he wouldn't be able to bring it any lower. He was still on morphine at the time, so there wasn't much pain for him. He has a small scar on the scrotum sack and the other incision was where they fixed his inguinal hernia on that side (they used that incision in the groin to put things back where they should be.)

Keep us posted on Henry and how he is doing. Let us know if he has to have another surgery or not.

They say to have the surgery done to prevent fertility problems later in life and to help detect testicular cancer. Doctors did say men that are born with an undescended testicle are at a higher chance of developing testicular cancer. Whether Ian's fertility has been messed up, we won't know that until he decides to have kids (long time).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Love Henry's new Avatar picture - he is so adorable!! And that smile--what a sweetie!!

Tracy:

Thanks so much for the info! It sound like Ian's problem was more severe than Henry's. His left testicle is in the groin- it can be palpated- which is good. At least we know where it is. So, hopefully I'll find out more, like treatment plans and prognosis, when we visit with the urologist, later this month.

I have done research and am a little concerned about possible damage to the testicle. I know that if both testes are down, they take it more seriously, because of possible sterility. Henry is our only son, and our last child (Four is enough for us!!!)... So we just want to make sure everything is ok in that regard.

Well, thanks again!
    Hope Ian is doing well.