Stay Connected

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dramatic Cafepress CDH Shirt Idea - need opinions please

Like Danielle, I think it's a good idea for those brave enough to wear it. I think I would only wear one if I was participating in a specific fundraising event where people would expect to see something like that. I wouldn't wear the T-shirt in everyday life because I think it would be quite a confronting image for the general public and might provoke some abusive reactions - even though in an ideal world it shouldn't. I don't think I'd be able to hold back if someone said something abusive, and that would defeat the objective. Maybe I'm just too cynical - but after the abuse Corin experienced on her baking website I'm not sure. Confronting abuse face-to-face is different to confronting it online - there's no opportunity to cool off. Also if the person wearing it got emotional and lost control (like I would) then that wouldn't be a very good representation of CHERUBS.

Okay I've gotta ask, could we pick right sided or left sided?
    Donna Easley mother of Alexander born 9-28-06 with RCDH ECMO 9 days- ASD- chronic lung disease- pulmonary hypertension- tracheomalacia- reflux- nissen- g-tube- trach and home vent since 6/2007 overall a happy and rotten 2 year old and little brother to Walker (5) http://www.totsites.com/tot/alexeasley http://webpages.charter.net/jtejctn/cdhsmall.jpeg

i have to agree with Danielle ..

I like the idea...not sure if I would wear it as well. I think I'd have to see it first.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

I guess that I do not think it is offensive or even odd after some of the vulgar and quite frankly tastless garbage that people pass off as clothing these days. I saw a man at the mall with a tee shirt on that said "I'm with Stupid" and he was with his cute as can be toddler. Now that I find tacky. Seeing a pair of two sizes too small athletic shorts on a robust gal with thighs that look like two pigs fighting underneath a blanket and the words "Juicy" written across the backside is gorey to me.This shirt would grab folks attention and that is the goal. Sometimes you have to put it out there, but to each his own.
    cdh found at birth. 28 days NICU. Vent 7 days. Repair at 3 days. No ECMO. NG Tube 28 days http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...don/0004-1.jpg

Blog Entries
    I agree with Danielle and Margaret. For those brave enough to wear it, all power to you. I however would not wear it and know for a fact that a lot of my own community would find it offensive. I think it would end up having more of a negative impact in so many ways than raising CDH awareness.

Slim Good Body. I remember him. He always did creep me out, even as a kid. We had to watch him in elementary school.
    Kara- mom to Aaron (8-30-03) and Adam- LCDH (8-7-06). Gastric Volvulus at 7 months old; Borderline Chiari Malformation; reherniation- bowel blockage and intestional malrotation at 26 months old; Apraxia of Speech - neurological speech disorder; Auditory Processing Disorder; Asthma; and frequent headaches.

I would not wear it. To much for this oldie. But more power to those that do like it.
    Elaine- mom to Kristin 22- LCDH- nissen- ASD- oxygen till 2 1/2- g-tube till 4 1/2- bowel obstruction at 14 yrs old- only one lung. Also mom to Brittany 18- no CDH just 2 mths premie.

Hah, Lynne. Spandex should be a privilege, not a right, I say! Those "juicy" shorts are foul.

Anyway just to weigh in on the shirt itself...I don't know. I wouldn't wear one, but I would put a similar graphic on a card or something so when people stare at Michael when we go out I could give it to them without wasting time explaining medical jargon to people who don't understand it/aren't as interested as they claim. I keep Flying Spaghetti Monster pamphlets near my door to give to people who come to sell religion, too. "Here, take one, no I don't want to talk" =D
    ~Mel Mother of Michael: RCDH- ECMO (11 days)- cranial evacuation- VP shunt- hernia repair- g-tube- Nissen fundoplication- pyloroplasty- ASD and VSD closures- tracheostomy- hypospadias repair- pulmonary hypertension...but what he lacks in lung capacity he more than makes up with charisma!

Honestly, I'm not brave enough to wear a shirt like that myself except maybe if I was speaking about CDH. But the boys would wear it without any problem and I think the younger crowd, especially the cherubs, would think it's cool. Whether the school system would like it would be another thing. It would also be on posters, cards, etc. So I guess we could do it and those brave enough to wear it would raise a whole lot of awareness and the rest of us could maybe wear them on appropriate occasions. And we could do Left, Right and Bilateral shirts.... just please don't ask me to do any intricate Morgani, Bochdalek, small hernia vs. agenesis stuff.
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

And amen on the Spandex and that includes stretch pants. And men in Speedos. Some things are better left to the imagination, or not even thought about at all.
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.