Stay Connected

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio 2009

I miss you all SO much! It was surreal to put faces and voices to my friends... I feel so close to you all and I am so happy I was able to attend!

Dawn... thanks so much for everything! You are an amazing woman!

Danielle... It was soooooooooooo good to meet you, you and Julian are so nice and I wish you'd come down here, you know you're always welcome here!

Hey Penny, call me! I know I live too far away, but I would love to get a call from u someday

Kara... what can I say? You and I are more than sisters!

Tara and Brandon... you are both so sweet, I had so much fun with you!

Kim... it was soooooooo nice to get to know you, you are an amazing woman and you know I LOVE your hair

Elizabeth... Isabel stole my heart, and it was soooooooooo good to meet you and share these days with you. I wish we'd live closer, I hope to see you soon!

Tracy... what can I say? you are one of the sweetest people I have met in my life!

Barb... thanks for everything! You are so sweet and funny!

Karen, I wish we had more time! I hope your cold is better now

Laura... you are such an inspiration to us all!

Karla... you have the most amazing and cute baby boy!

If I am missing someone please forgive me, thank you all!
    Fer Mom to Ana (29-11-2001) Mom to Juan Pablo (1-6-2007) born with a right sided diaphragm eventration- a rare type of CDH- severe reflux and speech delayed with signs of autism Juan Pablo- a Tribute to Life at http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=DYQAqMoTaiQ Our family blog at www.arcephoto.blogspot.com (if you want to visit- email me at maferarceamare@gmail.com so I can send you an invite)

Pen, I cant wait to see the vid

Danielle, LMAO at you teaching Pen aussie.. Can't wait to hear ur southern drawl in Oct.

Glad everyone had an amazing time xx
    Sharon - mum to Liam - 30/04/03 RCDH- 2 CDH repairs- Vent: 22 days- oxygen: 315 days- ectopic right kidney- NG Tube: 3 years & 7 months Chelsea-Rose - 08/03/99 Co-Rep for Australia - sknott@cherubs-cdh.org http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...nLiamsmall.jpg

Im so glad you all had a great time .....and made it home safe...
    ~Jenn~ proud mommy to Adrian; LCDH diagnosed in utero- repair at 10 days old while on ECMO. 11 days on ECMO- 12 days on the Vent and 36 days with oxygen. 5 weeks at Children's Boston and another 5 weeks for recovery in our local hospital Hasbro. Spent 72 days away from home. At 5 months old AD had a stroke due to ECMO; no complications with that- went home after 7 days with meds. Currently a happy 1-year-old; when you look at him you wouldn't know all this happened... : ) Also proud mom to 6-year-old Damian http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...iveraSmall.jpg

So glad to see you all had a wonderful time!!! : )
    Shana ~ Mom to Nyah-Lyn (05-31-2004) and Cherub Landon Matthew (06-20-200 Bilateral Diaphragmatic Eventration. Left side repaired @ 3 days old- Right side repaired @ 4 months old --> total hospital days = 42. He's our hero! http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...bonSmall-3.jpg Landon's Journey: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...m_medium=email

So glad you all had a great time and all went well.
    Loved seeing the pictures.
    Elaine- mom to Kristin 22- LCDH- nissen- ASD- oxygen till 2 1/2- g-tube till 4 1/2- bowel obstruction at 14 yrs old- only one lung. Also mom to Brittany 18- no CDH just 2 mths premie.

Finally had time to write up something about the conference. This was added to our blog. I'm working on the videos today. : ) The photos aren't included below, but you can see them in our album here. : )

Our 2009 International Member Conference for families affected by CDH was a wonderful success!

We had 17 families and 8 organizations represented from 4 countries. It was truly an international CDH conference. One person called it a "CDH Summit" but we hate to use the word "summit" as that is a meeting of peace of countries / organizations who can't get along - and we most definitely all get along! It was a "CDH Conference" - for and about Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. It included CDH Research, Awareness and Support.

It began on Wednesday with our Pizza Party and Introductions. We presented Danielle Kessner of CHERUBS Australia with a cherub statue. In 2000, CHERUBS members presented Dawn with a crystal statue. Now that CHERUBS Australia and CHERUBS UK have their own non-profit status and president, it is fitting that all 3 have the statue. Brenda Lane of CHERUBS UK received hers on Thursday as they missed the Pizza Party. Also at the Pizza Party, the new CDH song "I'll Never Let You Go" by The Jammies was unveiled. We will post that video in a few days.

Our hotel was just beautiful and Chris Arango of the San Antonio Holiday Inn Select was wonderful. There were a few issues but he fixed them ASAP. We were very impressed with them!

On Thursday, we were blessed with incredible guest speakers!!! Daryl Scott MD and David Pearson from Baylor's CDH Research Team were wonderful! Their presentation was very informative and the parents were able to ask lots of questions. We all learned quite a bit about genetics and CDH!

Then Dr. Kevin Lally presented from the CDH Study Group and we learned about the history of CDH, the future of CDH and all the research that the group is doing. And Pam Lally was so sweet to provide us with the latest (unpublished) survey tabulations. The parents were able to ask more questions about ECMO, CDH repair and survival rates. It was extremely informative.

On Friday, Drs. Meaghan Russell and Mauro Longoni from Boston Children's spoke on their CDH Research Study. We learned even more about CDH and genetics and how they use mice to create diaphragmatic hernias. The parents got to ask more genetic questions. They bought us copies of CDH News, their newsletter, as well and it featured a photo of last year's conference!

On Saturday and also on Friday we had round-table discussions and parents had the opportunity to talk to each other about their stories and various topics dealing with CDH. We all learned a lot from each other and we laughed, cried and shared so much. The doctors sat in on the discussions and learned from parents just as we learned from them. It was such a blessing to have the opportunity to do this.

And on Saturday, the kids learned a little song about CDH and performed it for us. Video to come soon!

Our conference ended each day at noon so that families could sightsee and socialize with other CDH families. Families went to the Alamo, Sea World, the River Walk, rodeos, shopping and more. Often, you would find families convening at the hotel swimming pool. The doctors fit right in and 2 of our Board Members had dinner with Meaghan and Mauro and had the opportunity to ask them lots of questions face-to-face. Videos will be posted soon!

This conference was also a milestone for CHERUBS - it was the first time the Presidents of all 3 CHERUBS have met in person. Dawn Williamson of CHERUBS (USA), Danielle Kessner of CHERUBS Australia and Brenda Lane of CHERUBS UK came together for the first time this year. We also welcomed Kim Richards of The Olivia Raine Foundation and Michelle Brown of Little Lambs. Not to mention doctors from 3 more CDH studies - Kevin and Pam Lally of the CDH Study Group, Meaghan Russell and Mauro Longoni of Mass General / Boston Children's CDH Study and Daryl Scott and David Pearson from Baylor College's CDH Study. All 8 organizations are members of ACDHO, The Alliance of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Organizations - a group of CDH organizations and research centers dedicated to working together to help support, protect and advance the CDH community. 8 CDH organizations all together at once to help each other and CDH families!!!!

Talking to the other members of ACDHO and to the families we got such great advice on how else we can help the CDH community. It was wonderful to talk to the other organization leaders and get their opinions on so much and learn about services that they offer, rules they give their volunteers, how they deal with certain situations, etc. Listening to the families during the round-table discussions and listening to the questions that they asked the doctors, we learned what topics they really want to know more about and want to see us post more about. We learned so much that we will all bring forward to the CDH community!

We want to say thank you to our guest speakers and to Karen Myers, a member who went above and beyond to make this conference possible. We'd also like to thank Barbara Wagner, who showed what a CHERUBS volunteer is all about with all she's done to help us. And to our sponsors and volunteers:

Conference Volunteers
    A very, very special thank you goes to the following individuals:

Alec Myers – in memory of Kaleigh Myers
    Barbara Wagner – in honor of Logan Wagner
    Chad Knudsen
    Charles Hess – in honor of Adam Hess
    Chris Arango
    Chris Meats - in honor of Ian Meats
    Craig Williamson – in memory of Shane Torrence
    Dave Holt - in honor of Braden Holt
    Dave Lipsit
    Dawn Williamson – in memory of Shane Torrence
    Fernanda Arce – in honor of Juan Pablo Arce
    Jean Williamson – in memory of Shane Torrence
    Jennifer Brown – in honor of Adrian Brown
    Kara Hess – in honor of Adam Hess
    Karla Holt – in honor of Braden Holt
    Karen Myers - in memory of Kaleigh Myers
    Kevin Lally, MD
    Kimberly Richards – in memory of Olivia Raine Richards
    Kimberly Switzer – in memory of Asher Switzer-McCoy
    Lynne Brogdon – in honor of Baer Brogdon
    Pam Lally, MD
    Penny Campsey – in honor of Cole Campsey
    Primerica
    Tara Hall - in honor of Brandon Hall
    The Jammies

We would like the following for their generous donations:

Chuck and Kara Hess, in honor of Adam Hess
    Jennifer Brown, in honor of Adrian Rivera
    Karen Myers, in memory of Kaleigh Myers
    Kevin and Barbara Wagner, in honor of Logan Wagner
    Kimberly Richards, in memory of Olivia Raine Richards

Our conference concluded on Saturday, much to everyone's sadness. There were a few tears saying good-bye. We hope to all see each other again next year in San Francisco at our 2010 CDH Conference - along with lots of new families.

It truly was a wonderful week. Hopefully everyone left with more information on CDH, new friends and knowing that we are a big CDH family working together to help them and all those affected by Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

SO great to hear you all had a great time together!
    The CDH study/research groups sound interesting.

Look forward to seeing the video.
    Jaana - mum to Gabriel and his big sister Shaddel Liisa. Diagnosed 19 weeks in utero with LCDH. Polyhydramnios. Surgery day 3 - collagen patch. 8 days vent and 3 days oxygen. 6 days NG Tube. Home after 13 days. Additional surgery at 7 weeks for bowel obstruction - reflux settled. VSD closed naturally and no problems with lungs. http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/m...abKiasmall.jpg

Putting the videos together today and tomorrow - please post your conference photos over in the photo album! : )

http://cdhsupport.org/members/album_cat.php?cat_id=251
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

I get the chicken bumps as I read. I am so happy all of it went great. Congrats to the organizers and attendants.
    http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...bonsmall-1.jpg http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...las/img253.jpg JM having a bath- favorite time of the day !!! Marilu- mom to Gael 10 years old, Derick 4 years old and my cherub Juan in a Million diagnosed in utero @ 18 weeks with LCDH. Born at 38 weeks- repair day 12- 2/3 of diaphram missing (in two sections) part of the bowels and liver in chest cavity. Oscillator 8 days- vent 14 days- extubated day 22- 1st full bottle day 28- chest tube for 21 days- Home day 42!!!! NOW 6 YEARS OLD And still doing miracles, Loves karate classes. -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Dawn I have been trying to upload my photos but I keep getting the message "file too big or corrupt"......grrr! I will get them posted....promise! LOL

This years conference was so so amazing! They just keep getting better!! I hope that many more will attend next year! Our speakers were awesome bringing so much info....our round table discussions were great and informative as well. It was so nice to sit and discuss different topics with people that understand!!