Stay Connected

Thread: holly 19 months and a twin

holly 19 months and a twin

I have recently noticed the my daughter holly 19months old now is starting to get agressive towards her twin sister. Just wanted to know if any other mums experience that with there cherubs. My older daughter was never like that not sure if it is something more or just the age I am going to see her doctor next month to get her checked up on cause i have noticed that her development is a little slower then her sister. Not sure if i am just being a worried mum or there is something to look into.
    Thanks Danielle

Hi Danielle!

Definitely follow Holly's development, for many of our CDH kiddos are behind in that area when they first start out. My Ian was behind, but around age 5 he is up to where his peers are developmentally. We did have physical and speech therapy for years, but it was well worth it. You also have somebody to compare Holly too, with her twin, so you will definitely notice differences. Try not to compare them, for Holly will reach her own milestones in her own time. With her rough start in life, this can be expected with delays, but definitely bring your concerns up with her doctor. On her being agressive towards her sister, is there usually an event that takes place that upsets her? Could be sister rivalry and having to share with her sister. I have heard it is different for twins and raising girls too! Hopefully, our other twin moms out there can share their experiences with you.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

i have noticed that holly fights for my attention all the time which is normal but she follows her sister around pulling her hair all the time i have tried time out in the high chair for a couple of minutes but its getting that bad her sister is scared of her and i have to seperate them which i dont like to do. I just don't like seeing holly getting spiteful like that i don't know if she is just being frustrated cause of what she has gone through. Thanks danielle

That is not good Holly's sister is scared of her. I wish I had some advice to help you out, but never have expereinced raising twins. Hope you find something that works for Holly and she outgrows this phase quickly.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Hi Danielle,
    It must be hard for you watching Holly acting that way towards her sister, I really hope that its something that will resolve by itself and quickly...let us know how you go at the doctors.
    Thinking of you heaps
    Ang xx
    Angela - mum to Max (LCDH 30/4/05 - 21/5/05) Also mum to Joseph 9- Christopher 7 and Dominic 2.

Hi Danielle,

I have twin boys that are now 2 1/2 years old. Matthew, my cherub, is the non-aggressive one. He is very laid back and goes with the flow most of the time. Jackson is very aggressive towards his brother and always wants attention and control. Jackson hits and pushes all the time and without any provication from Matthew. I think that having to always vie for attention and share everything affects certain kids differently than others. Their personalities are very different and so easy to compare them all of the time but I find on the days I give more one on one time to Jackson he doesn't act out as much. It's really hard some days to deal with but I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary for twins just different personalities.
    LCDH diagnosed at birth- surgery repair at 2 days old- vent 9 days- came home after 25 days in the NICU!