Stay Connected

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CDH Conference in June in Orlando!

2011 CDH Conference in June in Orlando!

Save the last weekend in June for CHERUBS!

Yes, we are back in Orlando!!!! We found it's the most affordable for both families and the charity and it offers so many different attractions that families could come for 5 years and see different things every time!

We will also be holding 1 day events in California and the North East so that more members can meet families.

Stay tuned to http://www.cdhconference.org for more details!
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

Blog Entries
    We need a like button on our forums so I can hit "like" for this message!

Love Orlando!! Love CHERUBS!! Perfect combination
    Kara- mom to Aaron (8-30-03) and Adam- LCDH (8-7-06). Gastric Volvulus at 7 months old; Borderline Chiari Malformation; reherniation- bowel blockage and intestional malrotation at 26 months old; Apraxia of Speech - neurological speech disorder; Auditory Processing Disorder; Asthma; and frequent headaches.

I agree, Kara!!!!
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada

LOVE CHERUBS HATE ORLANDO.

I won't be there and probably won't for several years. Big dislike from me. So bummed.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

I agree with Karla, so bummed on this one. I know the board has their reasons, but it is not the most affordable for all families. That is good it works for the charity on expenses. It does make it more expensive for people out West to get affordable flights all the way to FL. That is what kept us from going in May was the price of flights and to drive would be totally insane. I know it is hard to please everybody out there and you got to do what works for most, but I am bummed. I know the one day event in CA is in option, but I don't think hubby would go for the expense for one day.

LOVE CHERUBS!!! But, wish I could come to these events, it is a major bummer for me.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Karla, will you be going to the Northeast event? I'd love for as many of us to go as possible...I can't wait to meet everyone!
    Mommy to a Miracle: Ericka Elizabeth (3.18.2009)-LCDH diagnosed in utero at 29 weeks- Venitlator- Nitric Oxide- Repair surgery at 13 days- Venous Venous ECMO at 16 days- Venous Arterial ECMO at 21 days- came off ECMO at 36 days- off oxygen support at 84 days- G-tube surgery at 78 days- home at 100 days..FINALLY! I'm so proud of her and all the progress we have made! All meds and g-tube DC'd on May 5th- 2010. She's still a skinny minny but she's healthy and happy! She's amazing!
    ERICKA'S JOURNEY: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...39&skin_id=801 www.myspace.com/tracy_leigh

Yes, most likey will try and go to the Northeast event.

I try to get to as many events as I can and will be planning the PA picnic soon.

The other issue for families is that many of us try to make a vacation out of it. I loved the idea of taking the kids to different parts of the country to connect with CHERUBS families but now that will not happen. And I feel at least once every 4 years or it should be driveable for some areas of the country so that people can attend at least once every 4 years if they can't afford to fly.

Honestly, I flew to the angel ball this year with all intentions of being able to drive to the conference as I thought it would be up north somewhere.

I can't do Orlando again and even if I could I would not want to go again so soon. Braden can't handle long car rides so I wouldn't want to drive.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Oh, and I could afford to go by myself but I couldn't do that to the kids!

Both Brooke and Braden have made some fabulous friends and the conference is so important for the kids to connect as well as the parents!!

We hear the complaints, we understand. But does anyone have any solutions?

We have a small conference committee with only a couple of us searching for options, hotels, trying to figure things out. Usually only 2 of us shipping stuff, organizing stuff, etc. These same people have dozens of other duties on their plates too. We need HELP with planning! Everyone has ideas but not everyone wants to take the time to help us with those ideas and we can only do so many things a day.

Maybe we have overlooked some great location with a wonderful, affordable hotel near a hospital and near tourist attractions. We have asked many times if anyone knows of a good location or hotel. The only responses are those from people who either #1 don't like the current location or #2 want it near their own homes. We haven't gotten 1 single response with any real possibilities. Not one.

We love seeing so many of you there. We love seeing old friends every year. We want you all to be there, it won't be the same without you. But we have over 3400 families and the charity to consider. We're doing the best we can but we know that no matter what or where... we can't make everyone happy. We just can't. All we can do is try to do our best. Maybe someday we can afford 3 or 4 full conferences around the county flying in doctors to each one. But right now, we can't. We can barely get the pizza parties sponsored.

We aren't rigid... we are open to suggestions... but we need real options and real help. If you can find a hotel with the following:

* Near a hospital with a PICU / NICU
    * Not at a high altitude
    * Clean, non-smoking, no pet rooms
    * Free breakfast
    * Affordable conference rooms
    * Free parking
    * In a tourist area with things to do near the hotel for families
    * In a family friendly area (safe neighborhood, etc)
    * Hotel rooms under $100 a night
    * Near an airport

Regardless of where it is... I will be there. Even if I wasn't President, I'd be there (I pay my own way, not CHERUBS). I struggle every year to afford myself to go so I understand. My family hasn't been to a conference yet. I've been blessed enough to have been to Disney World before. My kids have been with their mom a dozen times... they couldn't care less about going to Orlando even if we could afford to take them. I get it. I understand. We try to make it affordable because we understand. We try to make it interesting and fun because we understand. I understand about wanting to travel to different places every year... who doesn't want to see different cities? I was excited about Boston and Niagara... but after months of research, reality set in.... we can't afford it. We can't exclude families who can't afford $150+ night rooms with no parking and no breakfast. We asked for help planning those by people who lived in those area. No response.

I am excited about Orlando again because there are sooooo many families and kids who have never been there. Who could never afford 2 vacations or even Orlando at all but who might be able to go because of grants through their states or because their communities worked to get them there so they could learn about CDH. People who have never met another CDH family or patient in person. Having Disney / Universal and all the other stuff nearby is a bonus. It's not the reason most of us are going.... CHERUBS and CDH is.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada

Tracy, I know you have another commitment around that same time so you won't be able to go no matter where we have it next year and we'll miss you. But we hope to see you in 2012 if not before then!!!

Karla, we hope you reconsider. It is important for the kids too. I know Brooke and Braden both like coming and I'm sure there will be lots more kids there next year if we have it in Orlando and since it's planned far enough in advance for families to make plans. Brooke makes good friends every year and I know she's such a help to the other siblings as well.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada