Stay Connected

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ericka's going to be in the news!

Ericka's going to be in the news!

Last night, I realized that I needed to get off the stick and contact some newspapers about the possibility of doing a story on CDH and Ericka. I emailed a local newspaper, The New Bedford Standard Times, and their features editor emailed me back today! She said she wants to do a story but it'll be about a couple of weeks because she has some stories already lined up that she needs to do first. WHAT GREAT TIMING! It'll probably be out about a month before Ericka's birthday. I am so excited! I can't wait to spread awareness, tell everybody about my baby, and possibly help another family who may soon get the same diagnosis. Imagine, if any of us had ever read about CDH in a newspaper before we were given the diagnosis, we would've been much more prepared, at least knowledge-wise.

As soon as the story comes out, or the interview is conducted, I'll post again, either/or. =)
    Mommy to a Miracle: Ericka Elizabeth (3.18.2009)-LCDH diagnosed in utero at 29 weeks- Venitlator- Nitric Oxide- Repair surgery at 13 days- Venous Venous ECMO at 16 days- Venous Arterial ECMO at 21 days- came off ECMO at 36 days- off oxygen support at 84 days- G-tube surgery at 78 days- home at 100 days..FINALLY! I'm so proud of her and all the progress we have made! All meds and g-tube DC'd on May 5th- 2010. She's still a skinny minny but she's healthy and happy! She's amazing!
    ERICKA'S JOURNEY: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...39&skin_id=801 www.myspace.com/tracy_leigh

That is awesome Tracy!!!!!!!! Good work! And Ericka will make the cutest subject ever!!!!
    Mom to Dakota Tenney- born 12-25-08 (RCDH). Diagnosed at 29 weeks. Born 7 weeks and 2 days early (32 weeks and 5 days). She is my Christmas gift and I am never giving her back. ECMO three days. Surgery on Day 13. Home on cannula oxygen 2-25-2009. Off oxygen 3-31-2009. No feeding tube yet *knock on wood*. Hard to feed and still a skinny little girl- but we are working on it!

Awesome! I contacted our local paper last year for a CDH story when I had the PA picnic (12 families to talk to!) and heard nothing

Maybe I'll try again this year.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

That is so great Tracy! You will definitely have to post the link to the story when it is done!! That is wonderful they contacted you back.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Karla, any plans yet for this year's picnic? Are only PA families invited?
    Mommy to a Miracle: Ericka Elizabeth (3.18.2009)-LCDH diagnosed in utero at 29 weeks- Venitlator- Nitric Oxide- Repair surgery at 13 days- Venous Venous ECMO at 16 days- Venous Arterial ECMO at 21 days- came off ECMO at 36 days- off oxygen support at 84 days- G-tube surgery at 78 days- home at 100 days..FINALLY! I'm so proud of her and all the progress we have made! All meds and g-tube DC'd on May 5th- 2010. She's still a skinny minny but she's healthy and happy! She's amazing!
    ERICKA'S JOURNEY: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...39&skin_id=801 www.myspace.com/tracy_leigh

WTG, Tracy!!!!!!!
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

That is awesome tracy!!! I tried writing to our local paper and new station, as well as a Boston news paper when Mally was in the hospital, never heard back. But your success has sparked me to try try again! lol
    Mommy to Mallory Miracle May Givent, born Jan 4th 2010 at Boston Childrens Hospital, home on July 14th 2010!
    Mally went on ecmo for 10 days at a week old, had her repair while on ecmo. Had a nissen Fundoplication and gtube done in May 2010. Mally has many obstacles, she has pulminary hypertension, scoliosis, and amblyopia. As well as developmental delays due to months of sedatives, and paralytics. But even with all her troubles, she is still an amazingly Happy Baby
    Mally Has two wonderful older siblings Mark, and Clara. Mally thinks the world of them and they take great care of their baby sister.

Which Boston paper did you try? I was looking into writing to the Herald, as well...after I see how this experience goes.

I tried the boston globe, got no response. I was suprised to hear nothing from our local paper, since we are such a small community, there really isn't a lot of big news stories. Their office is actually located just a few miles away... maybe I'll just stop in with mally. Could anyone turn away a cute baby?? lol
    Mommy to Mallory Miracle May Givent, born Jan 4th 2010 at Boston Childrens Hospital, home on July 14th 2010!
    Mally went on ecmo for 10 days at a week old, had her repair while on ecmo. Had a nissen Fundoplication and gtube done in May 2010. Mally has many obstacles, she has pulminary hypertension, scoliosis, and amblyopia. As well as developmental delays due to months of sedatives, and paralytics. But even with all her troubles, she is still an amazingly Happy Baby
    Mally Has two wonderful older siblings Mark, and Clara. Mally thinks the world of them and they take great care of their baby sister.

You could also try the Union Leader. I'm actually thinking of writing to the Democrat, the Lancaster area paper. I grew up in the next town over. Most of the people I knew growing up still live there so I thought it would be a pretty good idea..considering that after Ericka was born, there was a rumor going around that she was born with her intestines outside of her body. WTH?! I'd certainly like to the give them the CORRECT information.