[left:40f2f40855]http://www.cherubs-cdh.org/Album/new/barkley-jack.jpg[/left:40f2f40855]We have received 3 of the Cherubs newsletters so far since our son was born in April, 1995. What a help. They are very informative and I appreciate the fact that you have taken the initiative to do this. It helps so many of us. Jack has done very well these first nine months. Just one cold with some asthma type symptoms and 4 days of albuterol cleared it up. The most significant that has happened is a small bowel obstruction requiring surgery. The operation showed that it was scar tissue that had grown from the hernia repair. There was just a small amount around the bowel with most of it up around the organs. I guess when it’s around the organs it’s harmless. He had a very smooth recovery. Anyways, I’m wondering if other parents have had this happen? I think whether or not scar tissue grows like this is very individual. It’s pretty scary to think that just 7 months after his first surgery it had grown that much. The surgeon told us it could very well happen again. The thought of repeated surgeries really scares me. My other question is bowels! I always feel silly asking about this but part of it is being a first time mom. One of the ECMO nurses at the hospital told me that CDH kids always have a problem with one end of the GI tract. Most have reflux. I think I remember reading where one of the parents had written about a bowel problem. So-I know you are a busy person but if you have the time, can you drop me a line regarding these 2 things. Just a short note whether positive or negative would be appreciated.

Written by Jack's mom, Wendy Barkley (California)