Stay Connected

Thread: MEET OUR VOLUNTEERS - Karen Myers

MEET OUR VOLUNTEERS - Karen Myers

Hello, my name is Karen Myers, and I am the mother to Kaleigh Marie who was born on 30 July 2002. She was born at Wilford Hall Medical Center, in San Antonio TX, after learning at 20 weeks gestation she would be born with a left sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. She spent 10 days on ECMO and had her CDH repair on her 15th day of life. Unfortunately she passed away when she was 17 days old. I am also the mother to another angel, William Logan, who was stillborn on 26 May 2005, at 27 weeks gestation, due to non-immune hydrops fetalis. After much testing and genetics couseling it was deemed that there was no connection between the CDH and Hydrops.

I have 3 other beautiful children. Alec, who is 20 and off at college. Aubrey, who is 9 and going into the 4th grade and Jackson, who will be 4 and starting Pre-K soon. I also have a wonderful husband, Will, who is active duty Army and I am a stay at home mom. We currently reside in Crestview, Florida but move when the Military says so.

I have been a member of CHERUBS since finding out about Kaleighs CDH and wouldn't be the somewhat sane person I am today with out all of the volunteers love and support over the years as well as all the wonderful parents I have met along the way who journey through this horrible defect together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mom of Shane (1/28/93-9/11/99) LCDH x6 and multiple complications and birth defects.

Founder and President of CDH International.

Executive Director of:

CDH International USA
    CDH International UK
    CDH International Canada
    CDH International Switzerland
    CDH International Netherlands
    CDH International Singapore
    CDH International Hong Kong

Messages may be answered by CDHi Team.

Thank you Karen for everything you do at CHERUBS!!! You are a wonderful volunteer and such a neat person!! Look forward to seeing you again down the road, for TX in 2009 was wonderful!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Many thanks Karen for all that you do. You have been a huge help to CHERUBS for many years and I thank you for that. I'm with Tracy....Look forward to meeting you in person some day.
    Mom to Kylee Freedom Green. 10/04/00 - 10/05/00. 3lbs 14 ozs. Born at 35 weeks via emergency cesarean due to massive polyhydramnios that was restricting Kylee’s growth. She had LSCDH Her stomach, chest, and small portions of her liver, had breached into the upper-chest. Kylee had other congenital anomalies including: multiple heart-defects, two-vessel cord, Trisomy-18, as well as an AV canal defect. After much research, we chose to deliver at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston, TX . As soon as they delivered her she was immediately transferred to the NICU/Neo-Natal team right at the adjoining Texas Children’s Hospital. Also mom to Trey ( 9 ), Skyla ( , Chloe ( 6 ) & Elodie ( 3 )