Stay Connected

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prenatal Steroids??

Prenatal Steroids??

Has anyone taken the prenatal steroids to assist your baby with lung development? I've read where some doctors are giving this to assist with CDH babies lung development. Has or is anyone taking these? And if so which one? I'm seeing my prenatal doctor this Thursday and want to speak to him about this..

Thank you!
    Michele
    Last edited by MSengsourya; 09-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.

I have read here on the forums, many of our moms get the prenatal steroids to assist the baby with lung development right before birth, especially if they are going to be coming early or just to help with the lung development. Let us know what your doctor has to say on the issue.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Michele, in theory, if baby makes it to term (and I would estimate +38 weeks as some docs will do an amnio around 37 to test for lung maturity) then steriod 'shouldn't' be of any benefit.

But, there are a number of variables that would factor in on that. One of course being that the date of conception is based on last menstural period and for a number of women that's an arbitrary date.

Thus, estimating full term around 37 weeks could result in a bit of an error which may see slightly immature lungs.

If there is any risk of baby coming early (ie history of pre-term labour or early delivery) or any underlying pregnancy complications that may affect being able to carry till term, then I would look into the steriods.

What I know from the steriods (after being on alert to deliver twins extremely early) is that they have a benefit of about 2 weeks (ie the baby's growth catches up to the benefit of the steriods at that 2 weeks period) and that really, only the 1st administration (which is 2 shots ~24? hrs apart) is effective (subsequent administration is shown to have no additional benefit). Still, some doctors will administer the steriods a number of times and believe each application is effective.

If these doctors are right in their theories, then great, the baby gets added benefit as often as they are recieving the steriods.

If these doctors are incorrect in their theories, then by administering the steriods too early, they may simply waste the intended benefit.

For me, I had placenta previa with our CDH baby. At +29w I had a bleed. When admitted to the hospital they gave me a steriod shot, 24 hours later followed by another. It was my one and only 'shot' at having that as a benefit. Out of all the doctors that I met during my last 8 weeks, only 1 felt there may be added benefits of trying for another steriod shot. Suffice to say, I had 3 more bleeds (2 of them way worse than the 1st) and my 2nd last bleed they were seriously considereing early delivery...I did not recieve the steriod shot again as the hospital's mentality was there was no added benefit following the 1st.

If your thinking about it and your close to term then I would ask about it and even push for it. Any little benefit you can provice your baby in the lung department, why not. I don't recall there being any 'issues' with it and certainly those issues are secondary to baby breathing.

If you have a while to go (which I don't think you do if I recall) I would question your doctors policy and see how they feel about multiple administration to best determine how early you would consider wanting the shot (ie timing it for when baby is eligable for ECMO??) and possibly even do your own research to determine the timing that you would likely feel more comfortable with.

Good luck and I very much hope if this is something you consider doing, that you get it. For what its worth, while we did have the shot at 29+ weeks, Payton's lungs did really well (she was born at 37w5d) so maybe it did have some lasting effects all those weeks later.

Renee,

The research I found was the same in your post. It is two shots, 24 hours apart. The posts I read on it said that additional shots show no added benefit however do show risks to the Moms. They can cause fluid retention and elevated BP if given for long periods of time.

I am 36 weeks today and my Dr plans on inducing me at 39 weeks so we can have all the Dr's in place for my sweet girl. I know the research doesn't show evidence that it helps nor did I find where there has been a direct study done on CDH babies. However, I found many posts where moms with CDH babies did get it in an effort to assist. Some Dr's say " why not?" I'm hoping this will be my doctors thought also. He's been great and he knows I'm presistant.

Thank you for your input!

Michele

I will definitely keep you guys updated!

Michele

Well I talked to my doctor about the prenatal steroid shots. He agreed that since there is no risk to me why not take it, it certainly won't hurt. And if there is a remote chance it will help then let's do it. He said the sooner the better so its been orders and I should be getting it early next week! I pray it will help my sweet girl!

Michele,

So glad to hear your getting the shots. Next week is great timing. How are you feeling otherwise? Both emotionally and physically? Thinking about you and sending positive vibes your way.

Anything to help your precious baby's lungs is worth a try! It won't hurt. Praying it will give your sweet girl additional help to come out fighting! (((HUGS)))
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Renee,

Feeling all the normal pregnancy symptoms, lol I have the normal pregnancy weeps. I'm anxious about my sweet girls arrival. Both excited and scared to death as any of us are who are expecting a baby with CDH. The girls I work with threw me a surprise baby shower. One of the gifts I received was a pretty porcelain cross that said " Bless our baby girl" on it. I lost it.....I couldn't speak for about 5 minutes or breathe. I kept apologizing to them. I was glad they got it for me because I thought it would be perfect to put in her bed or hang on it. It was a very real moment. I'm faithfully that God will take care of my sweet girl and I will be here to look out for her, encourage her and pray with her though this journey.

We have blessed with wonderful old friends and new friends!

Michele

I agree Tracy! Ty for the continued prayers!!!

Michele