Stay Connected

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Holladay, Alexandra Nichole

Alex's surgery yesterday was a success and turned out to be a lot simpler/quicker than the doctors anticipated. They were in and out in under 90 minutes. Apparently, the reason her left lung looked "whited out" on the xray was not fluid in the lung but a baseball sized cyst attached to, guess what, her diaphragm. It had folded up on itself like the unzipped wall/door of a tent, and as soon as the surgeon popped it, he was able to unfold the complete diaphragm and stitch it up without needing gore-tex! Weird. The cyst had pushed her stomach, intestines and liver back down through the gap so everything was already in place. Surgeon said he'd never seen anything quite like it.

She's needing lots more morphine/versed today for pain (expected) and may need another chest tube to keep the lung clear (also expected) but overall she looks GREAT considering what she's been through.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

So happy to hear the surgery was a success and no patch needed!!! I have never heard of a cyst like that either. I have heard of more of a bag surrounding the organs up in the chest cavity.

So glad she is making progress, off of ECMO and has had her surgery. Praying for strength for Alex!! Tell that sweet baby girl to keep fighting.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Thank you for the update. What wonderful news. She is truly doing a great job. More love coming your way from Maryland. Keep up the great work sweet little girl. We are loving reading your mom's updates.
    Mom to Kylee Freedom Green. 10/04/00 - 10/05/00. 3lbs 14 ozs. Born at 35 weeks via emergency cesarean due to massive polyhydramnios that was restricting Kylee’s growth. She had LSCDH Her stomach, chest, and small portions of her liver, had breached into the upper-chest. Kylee had other congenital anomalies including: multiple heart-defects, two-vessel cord, Trisomy-18, as well as an AV canal defect. After much research, we chose to deliver at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston, TX . As soon as they delivered her she was immediately transferred to the NICU/Neo-Natal team right at the adjoining Texas Children’s Hospital. Also mom to Trey ( 9 ), Skyla ( , Chloe ( 6 ) & Elodie ( 3 )

Great to hear!!

Well, one week post-op, Alex has developed a condition called chylothorax. That's the reason for all of the fluid. Anybody else have this problem with their CDH'er? They have stopped her breast milk feeds and that seems to be slowing the fluid output. Going to try giving her some alternative formula next to see if that resolves the problem.

My son had chylothorax and it can be common in CDH babies. We had to go to fat free feeds for some time and then worked our way back up to full fat feeds and using formula. The switch to the formula did help resolve my son's chylothorax and once we got it resolved he was fine and it never came back. We also had several chest tubes to help drain the fluid at different point in his recovery.

Praying Alex's chylothorax will resolve and she can get back on track with healing. Stay strong Alex!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.

Thanks Tracy. I know we're over the big humps (ECMO, surgery) but learning about this chylothorax was devastating knowing that there's not much that can be done to fix it except to wait it out. They couldn't positively diagnose it for the first week because certain indicators didn't match up, but once they started giving her breast milk via NG tube, the fluid turned whitish and then they knew. They stopped all feeds yesterday and today, the fluid output is clear again but still heavy. They are going to wait a week -- suspending all feeds except for the basics she's getting via IV -- and see what happens.

Alex has overcome some very big bumps and is so strong!!! She is a fighter!!

Definitely sounds like chylothorax from your description. Give her body time to adjust and now the doctors know what is happening, they will help her get back on track.

Tell her to stay strong...sending her love and prayers from Wyoming.

Charley had chylothorax and was put on a milk called monogen . Smelt like potatoe starch . She had this and ton x I hope is ok with your little one x

Your daughter has definitely had some hurdles but sounds like an amazingly strong girl. Had a flood of emotions when i read your post about getting to hold her for the first time. Such an unforgettable feeling, your little girl will be in my prayers.
    Amanda Mother of Liz born 09/09/2002 with LCDH,Emily 05/27/2005. Liz was diagnosed at 12 weeks in uetro 90 percent of left diaphragm missing. Gortex patch put in at 3 days old. Ever abdominal organ other then kidneys herniated. Born at 38 weeks, 6 lbs 11oz. Born in Hamilton ON. Hospitalized for 6 weeks. Rehirniated at age 6 and 3 surgeries age 10 almost lost my Cherub again. Duplication cysts on her stomach. Reflux and on going GI issues.