Stay Connected

Thread: Beare, Caoimhe

Beare, Caoimhe

Our daughter Caoimhe was born in 1998 with an extensive right sided hernia. CDH was diagnosed before she was born.Her liver and intestines were both in her chest cavity. She had surgery to repair the hernia the day after she was born. She was in PICU for about six weeks and required numerous trips to hospital in her early years. She needed major surgery at age six to deal with adhesions which had caused a bowel obstruction. She also had a rough time with pneumonia when she was twelve. She continues to be monitored by her consultant every six months and sufferers from asthma but otherwise she is healthy and a normal teenager. We are eternally grateful to the staff of the Royal Victoria Hospital for Sick Children and the Royal Maternity Hospital for their outstanding care and attention to Caoimhe's needsimage.jpg

Welcome to CHERUBS! I love to hear from families of our older survivors, gives others so much hope!

Thank you for sharing Caoimhe with us, she is a precious miracle. Glad to hear she is doing well and is a normal teenager. I hope to hear more from you!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Thank you for sharing & welcome to CHERUBS!
    Mom to Kylee Freedom Green. 10/04/00 - 10/05/00. 3lbs 14 ozs. Born at 35 weeks via emergency cesarean due to massive polyhydramnios that was restricting Kylee’s growth. She had LSCDH Her stomach, chest, and small portions of her liver, had breached into the upper-chest. Kylee had other congenital anomalies including: multiple heart-defects, two-vessel cord, Trisomy-18, as well as an AV canal defect. After much research, we chose to deliver at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston, TX . As soon as they delivered her she was immediately transferred to the NICU/Neo-Natal team right at the adjoining Texas Children’s Hospital. Also mom to Trey ( 9 ), Skyla ( , Chloe ( 6 ) & Elodie ( 3 )

It is great to hear that she is doing well! I am a 21 year old survivor, if you or her need anyone to speak with just let me know! Welcome to CHERUBS!

Thank you all for your responses to my post. Caoimhe is at an age when she is really curious about CDH. Next week we are going to a reception in Belfast City Hall for CDH survivors and she is really looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Everything considered, it sounds like Caoimhe is doing wonderfully Thank you for sharing with us!

Enjoy your time in Belfast City meeting other CDH'ers!
    Kara- mom to Aaron (8-30-03) and Adam- LCDH (8-7-06). Gastric Volvulus at 7 months old; Borderline Chiari Malformation; reherniation- bowel blockage and intestional malrotation at 26 months old; Apraxia of Speech - neurological speech disorder; Auditory Processing Disorder; Asthma; and frequent headaches.

Just wanted to give a quick update on Caoimhe's health. She had a second bowel obstruction 6 weeks ago which required emergency surgery. Has recovered really well and we are hoping she will continue to improve. She lost her dad in July 13 and having to face a stay in an adult hospital was really traumatic. So very proud of her

Caoimhe is a trooper. I am really glad she recovered well from the emergency surgery and I wish her continued healing and getting stronger. I am so sorry for your loss of her dad. Just not fair that everything that our CDH kiddos go through, they are at times faced to grow up quicker or go throw very scary situations. An emergency surgery is scary just in itself. Tell her one day at a time and stay positive. She is a strong girl for sure.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org