Stay Connected

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CHERUBS Medical Expert Series: CDH & Vaccinations (Oct 1-7, 2013)

What about the pneamonia vaccine? And how often should they recieve it?
    Mom to Aaron 7-6-99 LCDH
    CDH repair 7-8-99 , 2nd CDH repair 12-5-2011, 3rd CDH repair 12-12-2011
    - hypo-plastic left lung - reflux(nissen fundo) - scoliosis - pectus carinatum -Post feeding button - sensory issues - mouth adversion - plagiocephaly - craniostynosis - Costochondritis - pulmonary hypertension - ADHD

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...Aaronsma-1.jpg

Are there any vaccines that we should be asking our pediatricians about that are outside the typical ones given during the first couple years because our child is a cherub?
    Neil Rubenstein has been married since 2003 to his wife, Amy. He has two CDH survivors. His 1st CDH survivor (Aidan) was born in June 2010 after being diagnosed at 37 weeks. Aidan had surgery to repair his hernia when he was 4 days old. His surgeon discovered at that time that Aidan had no diaphragm at all, all his organs were in his chest (except for his liver), his heart had been pushed to the left side by his stomach, and he had two spleens (apparently not uncommon). Even with all this, Aidan did not need ECMO and was only in the NICU for 29 days. Aidan had a follow-up procedure at 13 months old to close up an abdominal hernia that his surgeon created to give his organs room to grow once she moved them all back to their proper location in his abdomen. His second CDH survivor was born on September 10. Brody had his hernia repair at 3 days old. All of Brody's organs except his liver and stomach were in his chest and his hernia was repaired using a Gortex patch. He will need the same follow-up surgery at around 12 months as Aidan.

Excellent question. There are 2 different vaccines referred to as "pneumonia" vaccines-- PCV13 (Prevnar) and PPSV23 (Pneumovax). Both are designed to prevent not only pneumonia, but also invasive pneumococcal disease, a bacterial infection of the bloodstream and/or the central nervous system. The following link has excellent information on these vaccines and who needs which ones. I will try to summarize below.
    http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/e...l_vaccines.asp

Routinely, all children are recommended to get PCV13 at 2, 4, 6, & 12-15 months of age. There is a catchup schedule for children over 15 months who have not completed the primary PCV13 series.

In addition, certain children should receive the PPSV23 vaccine. This may apply to some Cherubs. The PPSV23 vaccine is recommended for certain children with chronic health problems, including chronic lung problems and long-term steroid use. If your child fits these criteria (or any of the other ones listed in my link), and your child is over age 2, ask your health care provider about getting the PPSV23 vaccine. Your child will typically receive an initial immunization with PPSV23, followed by a booster 5 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYounce View Post
    What about the pneamonia vaccine? And how often should they recieve it?

Great question. It is very important for all children to receive the all of the recommended vaccines on schedule, including the flu vaccine. Cherubs may be eligible for the RSV vaccine (Synagis) and/or the PPSV23 (Pneumovax) vaccines, depending on their age and specific medical conditions. See my posts above for more info on those vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRubenstein View Post
    Are there any vaccines that we should be asking our pediatricians about that are outside the typical ones given during the first couple years because our child is a cherub?

My daughter is 9 years old. Is the PPSV23 and PVC143 vaccinations typically given at those ages you had mentioned? Or is it something that must be asked for? I don't have a copy of her immunization record in front of me. We see the pediatrician for a weight check today and was wondering if it were something I should mention. Alyssa is on a daily inhaler and also has a rescue inhaler. She has a small right lung and quarter of the left one. She has also had Pneumonia in the past.

We are also talking about the flu shot. Is the mist just as effective or should we stick with the injection? Is it important that she does get the flu shot as well?

Alyssa~ 7/19/2004; LCDH- ECMO 11 days (VV 5 days)- (VA 6 days)-To date, the only Double ECMO Case at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, Vent 19 days- Osc. Vent 1 day- Jet Vent 1 day- Oxygen 20 days. 64 days in the NICU, came home on NG tube, continuous drip feeds. 02/28/2005 Fundoplication and G-tube placed.

I would talk to your pediatrician to see whether your daughter needs the PPSV23 vaccine, given her lung issues. A flu vaccine is recommended for all children, especially if they have asthma or a chronic lung problem. For people with asthma or lung problems, a flu shot is recommended, because the FluMist is a weakened live virus, and has a theoretical risk of causing wheezing (although I have never seen it in practice, better to be on the safe side).

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Smith-Weedon View Post
    My daughter is 9 years old. Is the PPSV23 and PVC143 vaccinations typically given at those ages you had mentioned? Or is it something that must be asked for? I don't have a copy of her immunization record in front of me. We see the pediatrician for a weight check today and was wondering if it were something I should mention. Alyssa is on a daily inhaler and also has a rescue inhaler. She has a small right lung and quarter of the left one. She has also had Pneumonia in the past.

We are also talking about the flu shot. Is the mist just as effective or should we stick with the injection? Is it important that she does get the flu shot as well?

Hi Chris, we are in Canada and at 22 weeks gestation with a LCDH baby boy.

What vaccines or flu shots should the rest of the family be getting to help make our home a healthy home for when our baby is born and comes home? We are all up to date now with the normal stuff for our ages (42, 40, 16, 13, 1.5), but are there boosters that you would recommend?

Should we be getting flu shots this year for everyone? Should my pregnant wife get a flu shot?

Thank you.

Sean

Hi Sean. Thanks for the question. I like that you are planning ahead, and I'm glad to hear everyone is up to date on their recommended immunizations. Everyone in your family should definitely get a flu vaccine, including your pregnant wife. This will make your baby less likely to contract flu, since children under 6 months can't receive a flu vaccine. I would have your wife talk to her OB about getting a flu shot AND a Tdap vaccine while she is pregnant. A Tdap shot is recommended with EACH pregnancy now (helps protect the mother and unborn child against pertussis (whooping cough)), since he won't get a pertussis vaccine until 2 months of age. All family members over 11 should receive a Tdap vaccine if they have not already received one. This will protect everyone around the baby from pertussis, and will "cocoon" the baby from being exposed to this dangerous illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourfamily Wilson View Post
    Hi Chris, we are in Canada and at 22 weeks gestation with a LCDH baby boy.

What vaccines or flu shots should the rest of the family be getting to help make our home a healthy home for when our baby is born and comes home? We are all up to date now with the normal stuff for our ages (42, 40, 16, 13, 1.5), but are there boosters that you would recommend?

Should we be getting flu shots this year for everyone? Should my pregnant wife get a flu shot?

Thank you.

Sean

Chris - Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help our members.
    Mom to Kylee Freedom Green. 10/04/00 - 10/05/00. 3lbs 14 ozs. Born at 35 weeks via emergency cesarean due to massive polyhydramnios that was restricting Kylee’s growth. She had LSCDH Her stomach, chest, and small portions of her liver, had breached into the upper-chest. Kylee had other congenital anomalies including: multiple heart-defects, two-vessel cord, Trisomy-18, as well as an AV canal defect. After much research, we chose to deliver at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston, TX . As soon as they delivered her she was immediately transferred to the NICU/Neo-Natal team right at the adjoining Texas Children’s Hospital. Also mom to Trey ( 9 ), Skyla ( , Chloe ( 6 ) & Elodie ( 3 )

You are welcome! I got lots of great questions. People can send me a DM with any additional questions that come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    Chris - Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help our members.