Stay Connected

Thread: Benjamin Noah Crider

Benjamin Noah Crider

Every time I look at Ben, all I can think is Lincoln and I must have done something right because God let our little boy live when the odds were against him. We were meant to be his parents and meant to take this long journey with him. I can't tell any of you how many times I've thanked God for him being born 10 days early, in room 10, being in labor for 10 hours on September 10th because if it were any other way, I don't think Dr. Oliver would have been at Shelby medical that day (children's hospital doctor) to be there to catch his X-ray and know exactly what was wrong and for being so blunt when we didn't need any sugar coating that our child may not make it in the air lifting to children's. I have nightmares of Lincoln asking "isn't he supposed to be crying?" And my nana saving the day by telling him that that only happens in movies to keep him calm (I was still in shock that I just pushed a baby out) and them rushing him to me for a split second holding his limp, purple, rag doll body and letting me kiss him and running out of the room with him, taking him away from us to the NICU at Shelby. When I wake up from those dreams, all I can do is cry and thank God for letting me have him in my arms today. My 6 month old survivor. Not knowing what's going to happen next day after day when we were at children's for 14 weeks. Nurse after nurse, they were all so wonderful and 2 especially that I wish I could have just taken home with me that made it their first priority to care for our little boy when we weren't able too. Without any of those doctors or nurses, we wouldn't have our miracle baby. And I'm thankful for all the friends we made who became our rocks while we were there. It really hits home when I see other people going through things with their children that could take them away and sometimes does. Then there are the people with their healthy kids, who don't understand what us, as parents to miracles, go through and put ourselves through just to make sure our babies stay happy and healthy as possible. For months every time I seen someone at the store with their babies with them, I wanted to cry and possibly hit them screaming "it's not safe for them to be out in this store, too many germs!" Then I had to remember, oh yeah, that's just mine who would be badly affected by all the bad germs. I'll tell you what, the saying "God doesn't put you through anything you can't handle" is a test. He will put you through the worst imaginable thing to ever happen to anybody and test you, have faith in him and you will make it, you will come out on top with your prize; don't put your faith in his hands & you might just make it, you might. Seeing your child fight for his life in such a small body, my case 5lbs and 8oz, has got to be the biggest test anybody can go through. Such innocence and wonder, your children are the strongest beings, they have so much will to keep going on, to stay in this world and learn more, "there has to be more than these lights and these beeping machines", there is. Home. I know I haven't done a lot of good things in the past, neither has Lincoln but God found our prayers worthy of the miracles he has given us since Benjamin was born. And I hope Ben grows up, un embarrassed of his scars because without those scars, he wouldn't be here today. I stopped asking "why us?" "What if this never happened, what if he was born healthy?" A long time ago. God made us realize that there is more to life, don't take ANYTHING for granted. There are bigger things. I am glad to say that I am the mother to someone so special, so beautiful, so strong. Things can get really hard but I would go through hell just to make sure my son is happy and as healthy as he can be. I pray to God that this doesn't happen to anybody I know in my lifetime, and if it does, I pray their child is as big as a miracle as Ben is. And for those that I met, who didn't get so lucky in that department, God gave you the ultimate test, bigger plans. While we don't understand why or what, time will only tell. All we have is time, the clock is ticking, counting down to something more than life knows. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for our son, to see why he let him live in our world. He was due on the day my grandma bow passed away the year before, he had the best angel there is talking to him in his dreams, coaching him to Lincoln and my arms. I love my right-sided diaphragmatic herniated, tube fed, living & breathing miracle and I love God.

I have a right side CDH survivor too. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Hello Kristen! Thank you for sharing with us.
    Felecia Marie Woodruff- CHERUBS Volunteer
    Pennsylvania State Representative, Awareness Committee Leader, Parent Advisory Board Member

Daughter, Hayden, DOB October 8th, 2009. CHERUB SURVIVOR son, Bryson, DOB July 30th, 2012 born at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
    21 Days ECMO, 6 Days Oscillator Ventilator, Day 32 CDH Surgery, Day 35 Got to hold him for the 1st time, 25 Days Conventional Ventilator plus 21 Days while on ECMO, 4 Days CPAP, 17 Days Nasal Cannulas, Day 90 Came Home from the NICU
    Bryson's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/brysonsbattleprayerpage
    My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/felecia.woodruff
    Email: fwoodruff@cherubs-cdh.org | awareness@cherubs-cdh.org

Welcome to CHERUBS Kirsten! Thank you for sharing your precious Ben with us. He sounds like a strong child and I am so glad he is HOME and thriving!

Your description of Ben's birth, brings back memories and the no cry and the purple/bluish limp child and everything happening around you at the time......no parent should have to go through that. I am too thankful my son came early and the right ped. was on call that helped get him transferred to the right hospital.

Hope Ben keeps doing well! We would love to hear more about him as he reaches his milestones!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

So happy to hear of your stong little survivor! Our babies are strong and resiliant!!
    I am blessed to be a 38 year old SHM. I have a 15 and 12 year old boys from my first marraige, I have 11 and 5 year old step children. We had our little cherub Oct 31, 2013. She was undiagnosed but has beaten all the odds. We were only in the NICU for 17 days!