Stay Connected

Thread: Christina Elizabeth Webster

Christina Elizabeth Webster

Our daughter was born 8-15-91 after a hard pregnancy, we had a miscarriage just before our daughter. I bled during this pregnancy and was on rest most of the pregnancy. We had no idea there was anything wrong with our child. We went into labor. 4 weeks early and when Christina was born she was diagnosed fairly quickly and transported to another hospital within hours. Her surgery was scheduled for the next day. When the tube came out a few days later she developed complications and could not be fed formula with fat in it. She had chest tubes on both sides. Weeks later we thought we were in the clear and a weekend staff fed her the wrong formula and we were back to square one with more chest tubes. Finally at 2 1/2 months they let her come home. After many protests from us she was ready. They did the best to scare us and have her stay another 3 weeks. I just couldn't As it went she gained 13 ounces her first weekend home and did well after that. Very picky eater unsettled and couldn't soothe. Up a lot and took a lot of our energies but we were glad to have her. At 12 she had surgery again
    Because of the chest tube scars were so bad they had to open all of her scars and release them for the muscle and repair them all. She was sick for days. Thank God she is a healthy 23 year old woman today. Graduated Summa cum laude with a double major from college. One bright young woman who takes advantage of what life has to offer. She lives her life to its fullest. At one
    Point she told us she lives for those who didn't. She is an
    Inspiration . Our Christina, our
    Miracle
    Last edited by Laura Webster; 01-22-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Mistake

Thank you for sharing your journey and precious daughter with us. Sounds like she is a fighter and a precious miracle. That is wonderful she is doing so well and what an accomplishment she has made in college, you must be so proud of her.

That is horrible on the chest tube scars. My son's chest tube scars are so awful, nothing like his CDH repair or ECMO scars.

I wish her well with everything she does.
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

thank you Laura for sharing Christina's story with us. Sounds like she has always been a strong person and very thoughtful. I hope she continues to do great things!
    My daughters chest tube scars from her most recent surgeris are awful, never knew they could become an issue down the road.
    Amanda Mother of Liz born 09/09/2002 with LCDH,Emily 05/27/2005. Liz was diagnosed at 12 weeks in uetro 90 percent of left diaphragm missing. Gortex patch put in at 3 days old. Ever abdominal organ other then kidneys herniated. Born at 38 weeks, 6 lbs 11oz. Born in Hamilton ON. Hospitalized for 6 weeks. Rehirniated at age 6 and 3 surgeries age 10 almost lost my Cherub again. Duplication cysts on her stomach. Reflux and on going GI issues.

Thank you for sharing your story! I am almost the exact same age as her! I was born 08/04/1991! I am so glad she is doing well!

Thank you for sharing your story! These CDH fighters truly are amazing.....
    Heidi Forney, mom to Sean (20!) and 2 other sweet boys both older. Sean was born with LCDH, and as a result has also lost about 50% of his intestine, is depedent on tube feeds and TPN, O2 at night, AVAPS due to both kinds of apnea and CO2 retention, has severe restrictive lung disease, severe scoliosis, SVC syndrome with 5 stents, Aspergers, diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension at age 17, adores and admires all animals especially wolves, hyenas and spiders, hopes to someday be a an animal videographer, and will talk your ear off if you let him about animal endangerment, OR the civil war. I am a volunteer for CHERUBS as a Hospital Angel in Idaho (Boise Area)