Stay Connected

Thread: CHERUBS Medical Expert Series: CDH & Vaccinations (Oct 1-7, 2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What about the pneamonia vaccine? And how often should they recieve it?
    Mom to Aaron 7-6-99 LCDH
    CDH repair 7-8-99 , 2nd CDH repair 12-5-2011, 3rd CDH repair 12-12-2011
    - hypo-plastic left lung - reflux(nissen fundo) - scoliosis - pectus carinatum -Post feeding button - sensory issues - mouth adversion - plagiocephaly - craniostynosis - Costochondritis - pulmonary hypertension - ADHD

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...Aaronsma-1.jpg

Excellent question. There are 2 different vaccines referred to as "pneumonia" vaccines-- PCV13 (Prevnar) and PPSV23 (Pneumovax). Both are designed to prevent not only pneumonia, but also invasive pneumococcal disease, a bacterial infection of the bloodstream and/or the central nervous system. The following link has excellent information on these vaccines and who needs which ones. I will try to summarize below.
    http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/e...l_vaccines.asp

Routinely, all children are recommended to get PCV13 at 2, 4, 6, & 12-15 months of age. There is a catchup schedule for children over 15 months who have not completed the primary PCV13 series.

In addition, certain children should receive the PPSV23 vaccine. This may apply to some Cherubs. The PPSV23 vaccine is recommended for certain children with chronic health problems, including chronic lung problems and long-term steroid use. If your child fits these criteria (or any of the other ones listed in my link), and your child is over age 2, ask your health care provider about getting the PPSV23 vaccine. Your child will typically receive an initial immunization with PPSV23, followed by a booster 5 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYounce View Post
    What about the pneamonia vaccine? And how often should they recieve it?