Stay Connected

Thread: CHERUBS Medical Expert Series: CDH & Feeding Issues (Dec 2-9, 2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Brad! Thank you for answering these questions!

My son is 9 and we still have the gagging episodes on occasion, do you think this is just from his years of struggling to eat or should we take him back to a GI doctor? I have always just put it back on he doesn't like the texture of something and that is his way of dealing with it or eating to fast. He no longer takes reflux meds. Does your son still take reflux meds?
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

Hi Tracy- Your name sounds familiar!

Carter occasionally gags if he eats too much or too fast, but I think that most kids do, also. It hasn't been that long ago that Carter would vomit if he ate too much, especially if he laughed/cried/coughed immediately afterwards. This seems to have improved and he is no longer on reflux meds.

I think that if you can identify certain foods and/or textures that cause him to gag, this may be your answer. If it's always gooey food, stringy meat, lumpy food, etc but he tolerates other textures, I'd be willing to chalk it up to being hypersensitive to food textures. However, I'm always a fan of keeping your medical team in the loop. If you ever have any questions or concerns about swallowing or motility, I would at least bring it up to the family physician. My wife and I are renowned for calling Carter's physicians with questions and concerns. I'm pretty sure we're the sole reason they implemented their 24 hour call line. Haha. Ah, the life of a CDH parent.