Stay Connected

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grayton's 1st Birthday

Grayton's 1st Birthday

For Grayton's Birthday Celebration, some friends are hosting a party and we are gathering goodies for CDH babies and their families while they're in the NICU. Here's the letter/invitation I sent out. (hope y'all all approve )

On May 9th, 2008 Grayton Karleigh Creekbaum was born to Travis and Leigh Creekbaum, as well as a host of family and friends. At birth, she was diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH). Although she was only with us for 44 days, the lives she touched in the short period of time will forever be changed. In celebration of her birthday, we'd love for you to join us as we celebrate her life by gathering (unwrapped) goodies to benefit CDH babies who are "stationed" at Children's Hospital of Birmingham fighting for their life.

While Grayton was at Children's, the smallest attention to detail of their baby and her surrounds (anything that made where she was seem the least bit "normal" and, thus, distracted away from the machines and tubes all around her) had a huge impact on Travis and Leigh. Things such as pretty blankets (rather than the hospital administered ones), bows in her hair, personalized trinkets hanging down from her isolet always put a smile on their faces. We'd like to gather these types of things to take to the NICU in memory of Grayton for other parents who are helplessly watching their babies fight for their life. Many of these parents don't live in Birmingham and are staying in an extended hotels or the Ronald McDonald house while their baby is in the care of doctors and nurses.
    Suggestions from nurses at Children's and CDH moms:
    Newborn mittens
    Booties for newborns
    Small crosses – ceramic, pewter, etc. to hang from the bed warmer
    Flannel Blankets (such as the ones by Gerber in packs of 4)
    Newborn hats
    Boudreaux's Butt Paste or Desitin
    small stuffed animals
    knitted blankets, booties or hats
    gas cards for the parents
    washing detergent
    any monetary gift card
    gift cards to restaurants near the hospital such as Burger King, IHOP, Jim 'n Nick's

At the shower/party we are going to make chandeliers for the babies' isolets to hang down from their warmers so when the baby opens her eyes, she will have some "jewels" to watch. We'll provide all of the supplies to make them; you just come and enjoy yourself! Afterwards, Travis and Leigh are going to take the loot to NICU and each item will be tagged "In Memory of Grayton Creekbaum".

I'll post pictures later!
    Grayton Karleigh Creekbaum diagnosed at birth on 5/09/08 with RCDH and she went to heaven on 6/22/08. She also had Pulmenary Hypertension- problems with blood clotting factors- and she went through 5 EMCO machines which got her the title of "Queen of the ECMO" by the head nurse - hence the boa and crown! bowel- liver- small intestines up with gortex repair had her repair while on ECMO on ECMO for 44 days (her entire life) Nitrate for 30- vent for 34 days- oscilator for 10 days Our Blog: www.thecreekbaums.blogspot.com

Also, thanks to Addison Accord's mom, Marion, for the gorgeous CDH crosses she made - a dozen of them! - for the babies!

You are the bomb, Marion!!!!
    Grayton Karleigh Creekbaum diagnosed at birth on 5/09/08 with RCDH and she went to heaven on 6/22/08. She also had Pulmenary Hypertension- problems with blood clotting factors- and she went through 5 EMCO machines which got her the title of "Queen of the ECMO" by the head nurse - hence the boa and crown! bowel- liver- small intestines up with gortex repair had her repair while on ECMO on ECMO for 44 days (her entire life) Nitrate for 30- vent for 34 days- oscilator for 10 days Our Blog: www.thecreekbaums.blogspot.com

I love it! I remember all the personal touches that really meant alot to us when Baer was in the NICU.
    cdh found at birth. 28 days NICU. Vent 7 days. Repair at 3 days. No ECMO. NG Tube 28 days http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...don/0004-1.jpg

I love this idea!!! I wish you the best of luck and hope you gets lots of goodies!
    Shauna Curtis - Mom to Addisen Noel born 12/10/2003 with LCDH diagnosed at birth- 5 1/2 weeks in NICU- 70 days with NG Tube- Cleft Lip & Palate- Horseshoe Kidney. Also Mom to: Mitch 08/17/2006 Luke 12/11/2008

Love this idea Leigh in memory of your sweet daughter Grayton! Grayton is so proud of you and Travis. I think the gifts you are giving the NICU are great ideas and will be greatly appreciated. Hope you have a good shower/party!! You will have to post some pics!!
    Tracy - mom to Ian, LCDH diagnosed at birth, 4/3/04. Ian was born at 36 weeks, spent 53 1/2 days in NICU, 7 days on ECMO, surgery was on day 5, 29 days on a vent, 23 days was an oscillating vent, 546 days on oxygen. Inguinal right and left hernias and undescended left testicle surgeries were done on day 48. Currently has heart related medical issues and exercise induced asthma, but is one happy, happy boy!! Also mom to Cole - 13, Shane - 9, and Toby - 4. CHERUBS Parent Advisory Board Member and Co-Chair, Volunteer Co-Coordinator, and Wyoming State Representative.
    email: tmeats@cherubs-cdh.org

What a wonderful idea! Please post many pics for us Leigh!

Happy Heavenly Birthday Grayton!

Sounds awesome! Thinking of you as you celebrate Grayton's birthday.
    Mom to Brooke-3/22/04- Braden-3/13/08-RCDH diagnosed at birth- treated at CHOP- CDH repair at 1 day old- home on day 12- Orchiopexy for undescended testicle (4/13/09)- Myringotomy with tubes bilateral (ear tube surgery-7/6/10)
    North Carolina State Co-Rep http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...bon-braden.jpg Braden's video http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

That's such a wonderful way to remember Grayton on her birthday. She would be so proud of you Leigh, helping other families facing the CDH nightmare. Hope the shower/party is a great success.

Happy birthday for Saturday sweet princess Grayton.

xx Margaret

Sorry, I was not able to get onto CHERBUS for the past couple of days...

I was thinking of you, and I hope you received lots of wonderful things at Grayton's birthday celebration!

Happy Birthday Grayton!
    xoxoxoxo
    Shauna Curtis - Mom to Addisen Noel born 12/10/2003 with LCDH diagnosed at birth- 5 1/2 weeks in NICU- 70 days with NG Tube- Cleft Lip & Palate- Horseshoe Kidney. Also Mom to: Mitch 08/17/2006 Luke 12/11/2008

Happy Heavenly Birthday Grayton xx

Leigh and Travis, I was thinking of you and your precious little Grayton
    hugs
    Shaz xx
    Sharon - mum to Liam - 30/04/03 RCDH- 2 CDH repairs- Vent: 22 days- oxygen: 315 days- ectopic right kidney- NG Tube: 3 years & 7 months Chelsea-Rose - 08/03/99 Co-Rep for Australia - sknott@cherubs-cdh.org http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...nLiamsmall.jpg