Stay Connected

Thread: CHERUBS Medical Expert Series: CDH & Vaccinations (Oct 1-7, 2013)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My daughter is 9 years old. Is the PPSV23 and PVC143 vaccinations typically given at those ages you had mentioned? Or is it something that must be asked for? I don't have a copy of her immunization record in front of me. We see the pediatrician for a weight check today and was wondering if it were something I should mention. Alyssa is on a daily inhaler and also has a rescue inhaler. She has a small right lung and quarter of the left one. She has also had Pneumonia in the past.

We are also talking about the flu shot. Is the mist just as effective or should we stick with the injection? Is it important that she does get the flu shot as well?

Alyssa~ 7/19/2004; LCDH- ECMO 11 days (VV 5 days)- (VA 6 days)-To date, the only Double ECMO Case at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, Vent 19 days- Osc. Vent 1 day- Jet Vent 1 day- Oxygen 20 days. 64 days in the NICU, came home on NG tube, continuous drip feeds. 02/28/2005 Fundoplication and G-tube placed.

I would talk to your pediatrician to see whether your daughter needs the PPSV23 vaccine, given her lung issues. A flu vaccine is recommended for all children, especially if they have asthma or a chronic lung problem. For people with asthma or lung problems, a flu shot is recommended, because the FluMist is a weakened live virus, and has a theoretical risk of causing wheezing (although I have never seen it in practice, better to be on the safe side).

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Smith-Weedon View Post
    My daughter is 9 years old. Is the PPSV23 and PVC143 vaccinations typically given at those ages you had mentioned? Or is it something that must be asked for? I don't have a copy of her immunization record in front of me. We see the pediatrician for a weight check today and was wondering if it were something I should mention. Alyssa is on a daily inhaler and also has a rescue inhaler. She has a small right lung and quarter of the left one. She has also had Pneumonia in the past.

We are also talking about the flu shot. Is the mist just as effective or should we stick with the injection? Is it important that she does get the flu shot as well?